Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM500: Run it at "11"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 15, 2006.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Like a few of you, I run the Ashdown ABM500 + Bergie HT/EX mini stack.

I usually do 50% master and ~30% gain, but it was recently suggested my a knowledgeable sort that I run master at 100% and use gain to control overall volume.

Is this recommended by others as well? Any risks?

2. I can't really comment on the Ashdown, but I can on my SWR.

I've tried it both ways - master at 10, adjust with gain, or gain at almost clipping, adjust with master.

Maxing the master gave me a lot of hiss and noise, and maxing the gain was nice and quiet. I put it until the clip light just blinks sometimes, and then adjust the master to the volume I need. It's a noticable difference in the hiss and noise.

Try it yourself and see how yours works.

3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Wally, do you get noise coming from your ABM 500? Because even when I'm not playing, I get noise coming from it. The only way I can get it to not go through is if I have the Mute button on.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Somebody told me to do that with a Yorkie XS800 head I bought a while back (max the main and use the gain to control volume). Sounded like a$$. All kinds of backgrond noise, hiss, etc. In any event, the head sounded like a$$ no matter what I did with it so I promptly unloaded it, but the maxed master thing made it worse. Personally, it seems like maxing out the power stage (main) and using the gain (pre) to bring up the volume can't be good for the head. That's like reving your motor to max RPM all of the time and then barely engaging the clutch a little to move. Not a good idea....

6. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I think it makes more sense to set your gain and then use the master to control the volume. With the gain set at the optimal spot, you get the best signal to noise ratio. So when you crank up power amp, you're amplifying less "noise" and more "signal".

OT: If you ever play around with car audio amplifiers, it's always recommended to set the gains correctly to optimize the S/N ratio. I would imagine it to be the same with bass amps. It's just not cool to amplify noise.

7. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hmm, not a lot if any....