Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Advice Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trouble, Nov 1, 2004.

1. I've tested various heads/cabs (Ashdown, Ampeg, SWR, GK, Lab), and, I'm pretty set on buying a new Ashdown rig. Any advice?

I think I'll keep it simple and go with the ABM 500 EVO II Head (RRP AUD$2699.00) and a ABM 410T Cabinet (RRP AUD$1999.00). Probably get for just under AUD$4000 together (yikes!). If I need something bigger, I guess I can always couple with another 410 or 115 cabinet.

Any thoughts on (or preference for) the ABM BP1510TX Cabinet? ABM 810 Cabinet is probably out of the question!

BTW, I play in 2 bands : one is a dirty rock band and the other is more electro/trip-hop sounding. So I do need some tonal versatility.

Cheers & beers,
    trouble (Melbourne, Australia).

2. Humpty Bumpty! Sorry, but I would really really appreciate some comments (poz or neg) from anyone who's used this gear or who's willing to approve or dis my choice, or knows where I can get this rig cheaper. Man, I'm soooooo close to handing over the hard-earned, it's scary!

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have an ABM 400 Evo II head. Its essentially exactly the same as yours just a 300 watt power section, not a 500 watt power section.

The Eq is powerful, The Subharmoniser is crap, the Valve Drive is really cool.

The tone is thick, classic ashdown with strong lows and clear highs.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown ABM ? Nice choice. You won't miss tone capabilities and headroom.

For the cab, I'd suggest the ABM414 (4 ohms) instead of the ABM410 (8 ohms).

Same cab, but you will deliver more power.

Hope this helps,
    JL

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have an ABM c110 300 its a 300w (4ohms) in to a 1x10 and its great I use it a heavy rock band and then a more ambience based project. I think a 4x10 is a greta choice and if your only getting one cab do as Jean Lançon said this will give you more power and be a great combo and fit in many situations.

I'd avoid that 1x15 2x10 cab that you mentioned, there really heavy (like 8x10 heavy) and I don't think ashdown make them any more, a 4x10 will be a lot more useful to you I think.

Hope this helps

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

absolutely. 414 all the way. great cab. great choice of rig and it will do anything you need it to. but teh eq qill take some tiem to master. it did me. had it for near a year now and im still making the tiniest adjustments.

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Only prob with the 414 for you is you mentioned you might add a 2nd 410 or a 115. If you go with the 4 ohm cab, you won't be able to add another without adding another Ashdown head. 2 8 ohm cabs, on the other hand would be a match for the Ashdown's 4 ohm output.

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'm sorry to disagree with everybody, but the Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II + ABM 410T cab I used for a show (in a pub) a couple of weeks ago had no volume at all. I mean, I could achieve nice tones out of it, but it had no power. Will bring my Peavey TKO combo next time, 'cause (no kidding!) it kicks this ABM head+cab's a$$ by far! For years I've been using a similar combination (Hartke 3500 head + 4.5XL cab) and I couldn't put the master knob past 2 (of 10). I thought the head and/or cab were beaten up due to some kind of abuse being in a bar, but they looked new and then the tech confirmed they were brand new, bought a week ago. So, from MY experience (rather short, that's true), I know of another brand to add to my list of "DON'T BUY" gear. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

9. I sort of agree about the Ashdown ABM300 EVO 11 i had the EVO 1 and recenlty the EVO 11 and even into two Cabs i had to have it turned up to about 7 / 8 to play loud enough against single guitarist / drummer loud rock stuff.

I have returned the 300 for the 500w head which will be far better.

Ashdown seem to be a bit light on output power especially if only going into one 8 ohm cab.

Minimum for loud bands would be ABM500 and a single 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs, the 1 x 15 and 4 x 10 would make a nice rig.Or get a 1210 Schroeder or something such as that !

10. Thanks for the helpful comments everybody. I'm piecing together a much prettier picture, I hope. Unfortuantely, Ashdown products are rare on the floor of Australian dealers. So testing various configurations is proving a problem. I might have to go with what I can at least test, which at this stage is the 500 head with 4x10 cab. Cheers!

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been using an Ashdown ABM500 EVO rackmount head for over a year. My Cabinet is a single 4 ohm Bergantino HT322. My Rig is THUNDEROUS and never lacks in power. I have not once been underpowered. This includes loud outdoor classic rock gigs where everyone got PA support, but I did not need it.

The ABM300 EVO may very well nbot have enough power, but the ABM500 EVO sure does. Keep in mind however that I am always running a 4 ohm cabinet. Therefore I am pushing the full 575W of power the Ashdown delivers at 4 ohms.

My vote would be the Single Ashdown 414 cab opposed to the single 8 ohm cabinet. with the power and punch I have with my rig, I am GLAD I don't have to bring two cabinets!

If you think you'll want to add a 1x15 or another cabinet at some point, then you're probably better off going with an 8 ohm cabinet. I prefer the simplicity of one cabinet if it gets the job done. My Bergantino HT322 does! No need for another cab. hope that helps.

PS: The subharmonizer is a cool effect and sounds best when used lightly, and on higher notes, just to add a slight thickness to the sound. I use it on one song only. But for that song, it is VERY cool.

12. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have an ABM 500 EVO that I like a lot. I'm a P-Bass guy at heart and this amp works well with passive basses because it has a really thick bottom end response to it and sounds "old shool" all the way. It's relatively lightweight and appears to be particularly well made. I use it with a pair of 8 ohm Bag End S15-D copies loaded with 400 watt Proline EV15Ls and the combination sounds very good to my ear. I'd recommend mating the ABM 500 EVO with a 4 ohm load to get the full power outta the unit. I'd imagine that it would kick ass fairly well with a reasonably efficient 4 ohm 4 X 10.