1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickg, Nov 17, 2006.

1. rickg

rickg

Nov 24, 2000
    Looking at amps -about to test drive an Ashdown ABM C115-300 EVO II Combo - £569 to pick up from local Soundcontrol.

They haven't got the C115 - 500 in local store at the moment. My current combo - a 300w Trace 7215 SMC - has always been loud enough for me so far. Should I save the £180 and go for the cheaper Ashdown?

It is Christmas after all - extra presents for the kids!

2. 300 watts should be alright, depends on what kinda gigs you plan to do and how loud the rest of your band is.

i'd personally get as many watts as i can afford for extra headroom

3. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    The 300 watter should be loud enough for you I think Ashdown rates them at 325 watts, thats a good price too.

4. Absolutely!!

Bearing in mind the negligible extra perceived "loudness" you would get for the extra dosh, I think it would be btter spent elsewhere.;) ;)

I did use that very same amp for a couple of years and lack of volume was certainly never an issue for me.:)

5. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    First thing to keep in mind is that the Ashdown combos are fitted with an 8 Ohm speaker. The ABM gives 325 Watts into 4 Ohms, so by itself the combo only puts out a maximum of about 180 Watts. To get the full 325, you'd need another 8 Ohm extension cab in parallel.

I've got one of the C115s, and one of the 2x10+tweeter versions. Have you tried both types? I'm just wondering because, of the two, I'd choose the 2x10 every time. To my ears, the single 15" sounds a bit constrained by comparison. It's all down to what kind of sound you're after, though.

Whereabouts in the UK are you, by the way? If you're in or near London, you'd be very welcome to visit my gaff in Leytonstone and actually compare both combos before you decide to buy. PM me if you're interested.

6. rickg

rickg

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm in Leeds.

Tried the 300w and liked it - deep and warm and lovely. But it was in a shop situation. The Trace sounded nice in my kitchen when I first got it!

Compared it with the modern Trace -which sounded like my old one and didn't like -and the Line 6 Lowdown (very briefly because it sounded awful). They also had a 4x10 500w Ashdown combo which also sounded very nice but is even more expensive. Now found the 500w 1x15 locally for £695.

Maybe 2x10 is the way to go. I liked the warmth of the 1x15 though. I play in 2 bands - 1 soul (60s style) and the other a function band doing a variety of stuff - rock, pop and soul.

'er indoors seems to have given the green light to spend £700 provided that includes any proceeds from selling the Trace. Maybe I could cheat and buy a 2x10 and use the Trace as an extension cab. And then there's the issue of whether there are other manaufacturers I might like - although I was taken with the Ashdown I must admit.

Why isn't life easy?

7. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    For the price difference, I'd highly recommend to get the 500W version. I've played both and found the 300 to be a bit underpowered. On the other hand, the 500 is really loud for a 500 watts amp.

As for the 2x10 vs 1x15, it depends what you prefer. I'd recommend to try both and see for yourself.

Personnally, I didn't really liked the 300w 2x10 combo I tried but I LOVED the 500w head w/2x10 cab...go figure! The 1x15 combo is good for deep bass but doesn't have the clarity of the 2x10.

If you plan to sometimes add an extra cab, I'd say go with the 1x15. If you will use it on it's own, go with the 500w 2x10 combo.

But in my mind, always go with 500 watts. For the little price difference, I feel the 300 shouldn't exist :eek:

8. rickg

rickg

Nov 24, 2000
    Found the 500w for £679 (just £110 more than the 300w version) in a fairly local shop AND they have a 7 day money back guarantee. Not been there before but it's called Spectresound - good prices and good guys too. I've got two gigs this week so will have a chance to properly roadtest it as well.

9. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Please report what you think of it once you've tried it in the "real world".