1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown AL-MK500 head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Anyone got experience with these? These are Mark King's signature head. thanks for any reviews or info.:)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    tried it, and thought, "woah nelly!"

seriously awesome sound, and the EQ is pretty darn flexible. the red is juuuuuuust a touch flashy for me, so i like its gold faced, AD600 bro, too.

3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, I'm gonna order one and "whoa nelly!!" is just what I expect.;)

4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Looks rad, hopefully it'll sound rad too.

5. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I used it for double bass mainly if you can believe it. It was excellent. Tom Bowlus now has mine and I believe he wrote a review of it.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I am not sure if I got a review up on that or not. We did include it in our brief ss head shootout at the Bowlus GTG, but I was planning on doing another 'solo shootout' on bass heads here before long.

One of things I observed is that with the Harmonic Emphasis 'out', it has a fairly burly, slightly dark done that seems reminsicent of other Ashdown gear (and keep in mind, folks, I am saying 'slight'). But, when you engage the HE, it really opens up the high end (too much, IMHO, if you push it all the way), but this feature really allows this amp to be chameleon-like, and that's without getting into its expansive EQ. The amp seems very powerful and conservatively rated. The construction is top notch, and the darn thing just looks great!

All in all, a very competent peformer, but to anyone who heard one without the Harmonic Emphasis and didn't like it (which to be honest, many of the folks at the GTG were not impressed with the tone without the EH engaged), I urge you to give it a try with the HE turned on. It's really quite a different sound.

Tom.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The MK500 really delivers what most would call a hifi sound(very bright,focused and harmonically clear).the MK500 does have a sizzle to it if that's what you're into but there is also the ability to warm it up if you so desire,the graphic Eq seems to be very flexible and easy to use and the slightest change in it's settings are quickly noticeable while the EH button really assist in added warmth.If you want a amp that delivers the Funk(depends on your eq settings the EH button can add to the sizzle)with some power and decent headroom then this would be perfect amp.

my comments above are from my personal usage of the MK500 head.