ashdown amb500 and a modulus flea bass settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a ashdown amb500 head genz/benz 6x10 cab. i play modulus flea basses. one has a bart pup and aguilar pre amp op1. the other has a lane poor pup with a bart preamp. my band plays at loud volumes. im looking for amp settings to cut through. ive tried all kinds of eq settings and i always sound low endy and get lost in the mix if i play on other strings than my e string. im thinking the problem is i have the knobs on my basses cranked and try to use the amps eq to cut that back. anyone with this settup that could help me with amp settings would be great. i play mostley hard rock. no pick. do a little popping but more or less just a rock player. thanx
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would try boosting the mids of some sort.
  3. one of the mistakes that many bass players make is to boost the low end too much. it sounds great to have a huge low end style tone when you are playing by yourself but it does not work well in many band situations.

I would suggest starting with everything flat and boosting your treble and mids a little. it may not sound the best to you standing 10 feet from it but it will sound awesome to the guy standing 30 feet from your rig.
  4. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice

Totally agree.
  5. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I guess I'm just spoiled soundwise but I love to set my Ashdown ABM 500 with the EQ button flat, 2 or 3 o"clock on the low and the mids/treble at noon or one. I get a really fat sound on stage that gives me "my sound" and I get told the floor sound is awesome by listeners. I do more tone setting on my bass, EB/MM Stray5 than on the amp. We don't mic the bass so this is how I usually run my rig at medium sized club venues. Seems to work for me. Then again there are about 4 or 5 mics on stage for vocals/sax and I believe these carry my sound out to the audience as well. Just my fiddy cent. :smug:, but hey what works, works no.