1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown amp with Ampeg Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hepworthbass, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Hepworthbass

Hepworthbass

Mar 11, 2014
    I Currently use an Ashdown 900 ABM amp head, going through a Mag410 (450W) cab. I'm looking to buy another cab, to either replace or work with the Mag410.
    I'm interested in the Ampeg 410HE, and the Ampeg 410HLF. From what i've read the 410HE is better when working with another cab, whereas the 410HLF is made to be a stand alone cab.
    Would the Ampeg 410HE still able to be used as a stand alone cab and be efficient enough to cut through the mix with a band of 3 other guitarists? And would it sound unusual pairing it with a mag410? (I'd only ever do that when practicing, and not in gigs).
    Or should i just get rid of the Mag410 and go straight for the 410HLF? from what i've seen, the only band i know to use a 410HLF, was HAIM, but i've seen that the bass player is actually now playing through one 410HE. As you can tell, I am quite confused as what to do here, any insight/comments would be muchly appreciated.

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'd be the first not to suggest the 410HLF. It's extremely scooped, and goes way way low to the point of being really muddy and flabby. Unless you really hate mids and being heard in the mix, skip it! 410HE is like a half of 810E so that's a lot better sounding cab IMO. Go 2 x 410HE or, I'd suggest a lighter weight option - 2 x 212 GK NEO. I have the same amp and I'm going through GK NEO 412. Thunderous, fat, clear warm tone that can also growl like mad. A very nice pairing with gk neo 12s. Whatever you do, it's best to pair two of the same. Much better results than mixing up two different cabs.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're basing your thoughts on what internet dopes say. Plenty of folks use the 410he as a standalone cab. I've done it before...it was great. I prefer the 810e but the 410he sounds about the same and works just fine by itself. The 410hlf does go a lot lower, but while some folks like it, some folks like me prefer the higher tuned 410he and 810e.

4. LennyP

LennyP

Dec 25, 2008
    Ireland
    In my experience, I found the 410he to be under a little pressure as a standalone. Excellent tone though. The type of music that you play and the volume that you play at would be a factor too. I use two 210he cabs now and they are really good. I've mixed cabs (same driver size) in the past with varying results. They work in a lot of venues, but can be difficult to eq in bad rooms because the cab characteristics are different. it gets so much easier if the cabs are the same.
    BTW - Another thumbs up for the GK Neo 212 in pairs.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    410he may work out great. Just depends on what your volume needs are. Edit: I read more carefully and you have "volume needs". I like the 2x 2x12 idea. Or get a used Ampeg 8x10. That is a standalone cab. They can go around $400 sometimes.