Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown/Ampeg for a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laguna J., Jun 9, 2003.

1. Laguna J.

Laguna J.

Dec 10, 2002
    Liverpool, UK
    I was just wondering out of an:

Ashdown ABM300 head and an ABM 4x10 cab

or an

Ampeg B4 head and a 4x10 SVT classic cab

which would be better to use with a Stingray 5 since both rigs cost about the same? (I play mainly slap bass, with occasional fingerstyle)

Thanks.

2. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Although I haven't played either of those cabs, I have an ashdown head and really like it. It has a big, fat sound and can get a good variety of tones. i'm for the ashdown as a head.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm only half equipped to help you with your decision - and I suggest Ashdown. I've played with some of their stuff and it's the dogs thingies IMO. Haven't tried the Ampeg gear that you talk about....maybe someone can A/B them for you!

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Honestly, you're better off with the Ashdown head and the Ampeg cab. The Ashdown cabs are not impressive at all but the ABM heads are fantastic. The Ampeg cab is a good all around cabinet. For slap bass I would suggest the Ashdown head and a Bergantino 310 however. You can find the Berg used or discounted now that it has been discountinued. This combonation is unstoppable!

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO head and I LOVE it. I play it through a Bergantino HT322. (1x12 and 2x10's plus Horn)

I get an amazing slap sound that is full, deep and punchy, but still nice and clear and modern sounding. I can get great mid growl and make awesome blues tones, or amazing Jazz/funk slap tones. The Ashdown is very versatile with its EQ section, but is also very plug and play as well. I can get a great sound an 5 seconds with a couple quick turns of the tone knobs or sliders.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The funnny thing about stingrays is they sound brilliant through anything.......