Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Jan 14, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Hey guys,
    I finally have the need to upgrade from my practice amp, and I want some opinions on the Ashdown MAG 300H w/ the MAG 410T cab. I've gotten to play the head, but not through the cab. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these amps. Oh, btw...I play an American Fender Jazz, Mexi Fender P, and a Rickenbacker 4001. Thanks in advance. Here's the Link to the 300H head....http://www.ashdownamps.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=112

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, I don't use that head, nor that cab, but I can say that in general, Ashdown gear rocks. I've a combo amp from them, 120W into 8, 200W into 4 (ext. cab) and with jsut the lonely 12 in it, it thumps out low Bs no problem, AND with good volume.
    Ashdown gear: :hyper:
    I'd say go for it!

Ray

4. I haven't got an Ashdown amp, but ive heard on the grapevine that their customer service isn't too good, so if something goes wrong... However, I've also heard that they're quite reliable anyway.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have a MAG300R (which is the same as the 300H but in rackmount version), and I am very happy with it : easy to carry, excellent tone capabilities and reliable.

It sure does not match some $ 1,500 amps such as EBS, but for the price it is one of the best bangs for the buck, IMO.

I use it with a MAG210T cab, and this combination really sounds great.

Cheers,
    JL

6. MAG series is great bang for the Euro (or whatever your currency is). The cabs are very nice and relatively lightweight too, try out different combinations. I preferred the 2x10 over the 4x10: clearer, more defined sound. But YMMV of course.

7. don't know about the heads but I played my ric through one of their combos and was very disappointed, would tread carefully with this one,you have plenty of options in your price range.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I swear by ashdown gear and I use a Ric 4003 and a Mexi Fender 60's Jazz, These amps are great for me they fit all sorts of styles of music, I've liked ever MAG I tried and if I wasn't set on the particular combo I went for, I would have bought a MAG. I actually tried a fantastic MAG 400w 2x10 combo that nearly made me want to sell my ABM.

Hope this helps

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I blew a perfecty fine horn after hammering an Ashdown Combo for all it was worth for a year and a half. Ashdown organised collection, replaced the horn, and had it back to me, for free, within 3 days. Is that 'bad customer service'?

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The little blue LED has gone in my combo and I emailed them within 24 hours they were back to me asking me about how I'd like it fixed from schematic for a local tech to do and they'll supply the parts or would I like to drop it off. Since it's such an insignificant part I opted to not bother, buts it's nice to know they're there if you need them :D

11. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i think asdown has the best customer support of any amp company ive ever seen. email them any question and get a reply within a couple hours. they have been great to me.

12. I had a MAG250-15 combo and it used to comfortably cope with two guitarists with Marshall 4x12s in our practice space.

It overheated once at a gig and cut out, but I was using it with an extension cab and it it was a very hot day and I was giving it a lot of welly. I took it back to the shop and I had it back within 10 days with a fan fitted FOC courtesy of Ashdown. I sold that combo and have regretted it ever since.

I've also e-mailed them a lot of times and you always get a reply within 24 hours, and usually from one of the top geezers. I'd call that pretty good customer service.

13. Alright then. As I said, i haven't got one myself, I'm just telling you what my local music shop told me. I've always liked the look of them, and they look really well built and all that, not to mention good value. If you guys have had no problems whatsoever with them, you can't say fairer than that

14. It could be that in the US Ashdown's customer service is more patchy. You're right that some people have found it to be lacking. I've seen a few negative comments on here and on Harmony central and I do recall someone else on TB saying that his dealer wouldn't stock it for the same reason. But in general though I think it's pretty good.

Obviously it's never going to be 100% and if someone has had a bad experience then they're gonna want to tell the world.

I can only relate my own experience though.

15. I'm U.K. based, which was why I was surprised to hear that it wasn't too good even here. That was exactly why this guy wouldn't stock any either; he had one amp head from them when I was there, he said he had tried to get more but also said that he had got some complaints about them from customers.

16. Oh right, Well I'm surprised.

17. I also have found Ashdown service very good, even from Mark taking a personal interest.

They are like all companies today in particular in the UK trying hard to compete in a very aggressive price world. I dont blame them using Chinese labour to build Mag series at least the prices are good.

Would you pay twice the price for UK made ( like the ABM ) only if you had to i guess.

To be honest i think sometimes the agents, shops and different countries all add to the service problem. I have had Ampeg gear as well and the service in the UK is pants and dont believe the 5 year warranty rubbish as Ampeg only give this if you are in the USA, the rest of us gets 12 months.

Ashdown are run by people and people make errors, fact of life.

Ive always found them approachable, friendly, quick responding and professional ( Ashdown this is not Ampeg )