Ashdown Amps Whos Got 'em?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbassdude, May 20, 2003.

1. I recently saw Macy Grays band and the bassist (a funk monster) was using an Ashdown amp complete with a VU meter!(how cool is that?) It sounded incredible. Tons of sound in a nice little combo package.
    Anyone here have practical use with them? models? What should one expect to pay? etc.
    Thanks and Peace
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The VU meters are a nice touch, huh? :)

I have the ABM 500RC EVO (RC for Rackmount/Chrome Face.) It has a MOSFET power section with the tube pre. I love this amp. Its warm, punchy, and very loud (575w @ 4ohms.) If you get a chance, I highly reccomend trying one out.
  3. I have an ABM900 and ABM300. And a few of the cabs. I like Ashdown.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a little 1x12 200watt Mag combo. Best $350 I've ever spent!

I'll be stepping up to an ABM soon, but I want it sitting on a Bergantino cabinet :cool:
  5. Hey that's MY amp!! Why you thieving little... ;)
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Mag 250 head and mini 1x15 cab. I'm pleased with this set up (although it has also benefitted from the addition of a SABDDI in the signal chain for a bit more 'tubey warmth'). You can see them at the left hand end of the recent gig shot below:

Note that I'm on the floor, while the amp and singers are on a raised part of the stage.

7. Nice waistcoat... It does clash with your bass a bit though. :D
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nonsense - blue and orange is the combination to be seen in nowadays. That's why they call me 'Mr Fashionsense' :D

9. ABM 500 evo head thro' a Mini 48 and a mini 15 , small neat and very full :D
  10. I've got an EB combo. Warm, but far too much mid range for me.
  11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    mainly for practices though... i think it has just the right amount of midrange... ;)
  12. Thanks, I'll be paying him a visit real soon. Must start to collect my pennies and aluminum cans!
    Thanks for all the input!
  13. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My ABM C110-300 combo is seeing alot of work these days, sitting on top of an Aguilar 112. After trying an Eden WT300, I figured 300W wasn't enough for the loudish blues or classic rock trios I do most. The Ashdown/Aggie combo has more than enough power. Also, that squishy tube preamp has a great responsiveness to right hand technique you can't get from a purely SS preamp. The mids cut thru nicely with the contour switched out, and the Aggie cab fills in the low lows that the Ashdown 10" speaker doesn't have.

Very happy all in all.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO with two Bergantino 112 cabs. I always got compliments on my sound wherever I went. This was the best setup that I've ever had.
  15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Smash, that photo of you should be on the Ashdown site. That is too cool!:cool:
  16. Oh yeah, I've got an Electric Blue 130-12 too.

Here's a pic of me digging into my Lakie HB with the little Ashdown rig. It looks like I just got punched in the stomach or something.
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's always great to see what everyone looks like out there.
  18. olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    ABM 500 with two Aguilar GS112's. I'm in heaven. Great range of tones, tons of punch, and relatively small rig all things considered...

19. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I just bought one of the new EB-150 combos. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on how much I like it. But I can say that I scoured the country for deals and Bass Northwest beat everybody (including MusiciansFriend) on price, product range, and service. And the guys there own Ashdowns and had great things to say.
  20. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have an ABM 300 EVO head that I use with mini 115, and 112 cabinets. I really love this rig!