ashdown amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jul 9, 2001.

1. how good are ashdowns amps? i haven't heard much about them or play through one. are they good quality? loud? hows the tone? what other amps are they the most similar too? thanks for any input
  2. i think that they are decent quality, but the tone thing is subjective IMO. to me they sound fat, warm, big, etc. not quite what i would call audiophile by any means, just round and fat.
  3. JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    I just picked up a used "evo abm 300 1x15 combo" for live work. it sounds great..takes a while to figure out..lots of options for patch points, etc. sub octave works as well as anything else, except for a dbx. i am getting the drift the key is the tube/ss dial..that determines the real sound, which you then slightly eq---or not in the case of my Renaissance 4 f-less. I cut the highs/hi mids on the eq for my P a little..

the flat sound of this amp: no eq, no scoop switch, etc.. is's what i judge amps by, and this one has the goods.. When you check one out, start from there; don't get distracted by all the cute little dials and other crap..though they actually are useful too. i think...

I like this better than the Redhead or the Metro.(it weighs less and is warmer sounding than both of them; I have used both of them before in live settings) and the BA 100 ampeg..(close to the sound of that but more power/tube pre/etc and more versatile).

I don't like (so far)

It has a "sub-out" which is a crossover
    --but it's at 160hz..why? that's too high.

Also, be aware of the $$ you pay for their stuff. the company sometimes dumps discontinued things on the market at certain stores. for example, my amp is used, but it was 2 months old (newer than a lot of things at your typical retail place..) The original owner bought it at "close out" from Bass Place in tempe AZ for $700..i picked it up from him for $500..but if you want one now..i think Bass NW or Bass Exchange has em for $ a wise little ol' consumer..

I emailed the company weeks ago and never got a reply. ..Their website is only fair as far as info is concerned.

Who cares? They make a great amp. Now we'll see if it lasts as long as my '66 B-18.
  4. Pesci1313, Ashdowns are very good sounding amps.
    I don't own one, but, I've played through both their 130watt combos (one with 1x12, the other 1x15)
    I liked the 1x12 better, it sounded a little tighter to me. They have a very warm sound, close to Ampeg, but, with a little Harke thrown in.

Good amps.
    Mike J.
  5. It was intended for use specifically with a 15" powered sub that Ashdown has since discontinued. I'm sure they have their reasons.
  6. JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    - when you go to their site they talk about that damn powered sub, but there's no powered sub..i learned that from doing a search here..

on their pre's there's a variable x over out..these are a newer design i think.

but the "evo" abm combo I have is an upgrade to the original abm..and came out after the sub was "go figga"... seems like a weird mistake to me. and as I said, i tried writing them..but no reply.
  7. I have the 2x10 MAG200 combo and I love it. Like the others have mentioned, the tone isn't for everyone. Its definitely NOT modern sounding. Warm round and fat. Has very basic features but they get the job done well. I actually have to turn the bass back and the treble up on this amp...usually with other amps its the other way around. Definitely the "anti-bright" of amps. They are very solidly built and seem very durable.
  8. To get a clean (undistorted) tone from the preamp, the input level needs to be very low with a boosted output level (I have the RPM-1). This results in a low level output to the effects loop. In fact the level is about the same as that coming directly from the bass guitar. This may be tough on ADC in an effects processor. Any thoughts?