Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Howard K, May 17, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Oh my god. OH MY GOD!!!!

My local rehersal room has invested in brand new Ashown rigs. I played one last night. And ABM 300w head and a singlecab 1x15", 2x10" + horn.

I have NEVER played through an amp that had THE exact sound I always wanted before. It had perfect tone, beautifuly clear low end, 'crispy' high end and it made the mid-ranges in my P bass sing like I;ve never heard. Honestly, I MUST have one!

I'm in love, but it is a distant and unobtainable love for I cannot afford a new rig.

Anyone looking to buy and amp, check these babies out. I swear my next amp will be an Ashdown, no doubt about it.

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yup! I sold my Mesa 400+ after I got an Ashdown 500. Love it, love it, love it.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I have 3 amps... the best being an ampeg svt 2 pro with mesa boogie valves - which is about 6 or 7 years old. it kicks butt supreme, but the clarity of this ashdown just obliterated my ampeg.

i am truly amazed!

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I checked out a Ashdown Mag 400 410 Combo yesterday. I wasn't impressed. I really liked the built-in harmonizer but that was it. I couldn't get a decent sound out of it.
    I also checked out a Eden CXC that was right beside the Ashdown. I eq'd everything the same and set the levels the same as well.
    Then I went back and forth using the same bass.
    The Eden made the Ashdown sound pretty bad. I passed on both of them. Now i'm going to check out the new Roland DB-900 as see how it compares.
    Perhaps the Ashdown ABM is a much better amp than the Mag 400. We'll see.
    Cheers,

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ABM vs MAG, could be yeah? - I mean manufacturers always say that there's little difference in terms of quality between their pro and cheaper ranges, but a price difference of a few hundred pounds is bound to make a difference.

I dont know about the combos either - although my teacher plays an ABM combo which sounds good.

So it might be the ABM Vs MAG thang?

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I have an ABM 4*10 500 watt combo and a little MAG 1*15 250 watt combo. The MAG sounds ok but not as warm at without the low end rumble of the ABM. However the ABM cost over twice as much as the MAG...

I tend to take the MAG to rehearsals and very small gigs but the ABM (with a 1*15 ext cab) has proved to be a good enough amp for anywhere I've played, easily keeping up with a loud guitarist !

I do like my Ashdowns, but they have very definite roles and uses - if you can afford an ABM then they are really good warm sounding amps and personally I'm happy with mine.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You and me both. The versatility and tone of the ABM's is phenomenal. I'm just saving and biding my time right now as my current rig isn't that bad (Nemesis 210).

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm waiting for a confirmation for an old (yeah, vintage) Ampeg SVT w/810 cab.

If I miss it, I'll probably get an ABM-C115-500. It's a combo, but its power, clarity and warmth make it able to eat many rigs, really.

All the best,

9. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    I've had my ABM 115-500 combo for just a week now and done one rehearsal and two gigs. It's fantastic. I hardly used the EQ as it sounds great running flat. Loads and loads of bottom which is just what I was looking for. I've been looking to update my gear for ages and about 2 weeks ago bought an Ashdown EB 130-15 to tide me over in rehearsals. I was so pleased with it, and hearing all the good things about Ashdown gear, bought the ABM 115-500 without even trying it! Hows that for confidence in a product!!!!
    There is a big difference between the MAG and the ABM stuff. I tried out a MAG 200-15 combo during the time I was looking and wasn't too impressed at all. I compared it in the shop with a Warwick Sweet 15 and the Warwick had more bottom end and warmth ( both amps running flat).
    But as for the ABM.........well .... Is there really anything else?

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I discovered Ashdown "accidentally", in 1999. A band of young guys I know were recording a demo in a studio owner by a retailer (and located in the back-office of the shop), and I had been "invited" to come and see them.

They were on difficulty because the bass player couldn't stand the tempo. In other words, the band hadn't rehearsed enough to be studio-ready.

Finally, the bass player asked me if I wanted to play his part for the recording. Since I didn't like his Ibanez SR 200, I picked up a P-Bass and plugged it into the ABM-115-500 that was in the studio. The sound was HUGE. Warm, clear, deep. I made the "session" with it. A very pleasant experience...

All the best,

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I just bought an ELectric Blue 15 as an addition to my Trace rig. The Ashdown was bought as a practice amp, monitor for small gigs ie the one where I wouldn't/couldn't use the Trace.

I was very impressed with it. The sound is great with the control set flat - no EQ at all! Howard, seeing as you like Trace stuff and Ampeg, you should like Ashdown. As I understand it the CEO of Ashdown was one of the Trace Elliot designers - the sound he aimed for was a Trace/Ampeg mix.

I know if I was looking for a rig now I'd definitley cosndider Ashdown - but ny Trace rig is only 8 months old, so it'll do me a good while!

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, I heard there was a connection between trace and ashdown somewhere

Actually, I hate trace elliot amps!!! - but I got an old AH240 and 1x15" and 4x10" for £200, then paid £800 for my SVT2pro head. I use the trace cabs coz I'm too skint to buy new ones and the trace head is a spare at home.

I find elliot amps have their own particular sound rather than amplifying the true sound of the bass and I dont like their sound!

13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Johnny and Howard,

Both of you are right.

The Ashdown sounds instantly great, with no EQ adjustment. It has the warmth of an Ampeg, without the fuss of dozens tubes.

TE amps do add some "colour" to the sound, and it's a matter of taste. Some people love that, other hate it.

For what I've heard, the Ashdown is closer to Ampeg than to TE. Mark Gooday and his stuff did a real good job.

I'm expecting for a confirmation from the seller of a vintage SVT. Should I miss it, I do believe I'll go Ashdown in a heartbeat.

All the best,

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oooooops, and then there's the people who have Trace stuff 'cos their skint and it's a bargain:D

OK, so every once in a while I make a bad call - but I think we're all agreed, Ashdown makes some seriously nice amps:)

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    naah, that wasnt a bad call at all, no worries whatsoever. It is a taste thing totally. Sometimes i'll see a bassplayer at a gig using an elliot and it'll sound great... they just dont suit my playing I guess?

mind you my one is VERY old and completely shagged! - I bought it from musicbank in london bridge - so it's had ten years of abuse! - i'm referring to the ones my local rehersal room uses (other than their new ashdown).

I'm already thinking about how i can source the cash, darnit! i have a tech systems cab at home, it's 2x10" + horn, but one 10" is angled behind the other so the cab is only a foot high. it's a very clean sounding, so i reckon the amb 300 would suit it a treat!

:)

16. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    It is, indeed.

Adam Clayton plays Ashdown and sounds great.
    Tony Levin plays TE and sounds great.
    Chris Squire plays Ampeg and sounds great.

And so on...

It's definitely all a matter of what most fits one's needs, tastes and style.

All the best,

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    When Gibson bought TE, some of the TE folks left to start up Ashdown. Think Tobias and MTD.