Ashdown amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRL, Jan 11, 2003.

1. JRL

Jan 26, 2001
    I recently bought an Ashdown EVO 300. I love its sound, the warmth and clarity is great.No complaints there, but last Monday it was working great, but then the next day (New Years Eve) I plugged in and got nothing. I took it back to my local music store and a week later theytold me that the cable from the power supply came loose and i was lucky it didn't fry anything.
    Anyone else have this problem?
  2. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I have a MAG250, and havent had anything like that... you may have just got one of the "rare" bad ones.. it happens every so often! :)

DC :)
  3. JRL

Jan 26, 2001
    Weird thing is,a friends Mag 250 fried on New Years, too. The tech at the store to;d me they've only had three come in in the years they'd been selling them. BTW I got mine back andhave played three shows with it. It's working fine and what an amp!!
  4. I've got an Electric Blue 130 combo. The first one I bought started to fizz and distort after about 30 mins play during a band practice. The amp section also felt really, really hot.

I took it back and the shop swapped it out for me. Don't know what happened to the amp or what the root cause is! However, the second one (I'be had for about 9 months now has been a brilliant amp!
  5. Maybe it's Y2K2. My ABM900, ABM300, and Electric Blue 12 all seem to be Y2K2 compliant.
  6. Mogo

Jan 3, 2002
    i have a mag 200 head with a 4x10 & 1x15 brillient amp class sound pitty about the reliablity. Had it three months started to make F**ked up noises got it sort by resoldering all the pots then the other week we were practicing for a gig (happy as F**k) then the bass stops I look round and you would of though that a school boy was hiding behind me amp having a fag. She blew a transistor. So im getting it fix and getting rid of it!! Time for something new. Anybody any ideas?? I was thinking about peavy.

7. Ouch - that's not good! Now I inderstand why you want shot of it! Peavey seem to be tough as old boots, and quite nice - I think we've been discussing Trace in another thread! What sort of opportunity do you have to try gear out?
  8. Mogo

Jan 3, 2002
    Not really that much of a chance to try new gear out there a crap selection over here. Most of it is ashdown and laney!
  9. Yeah, I know the feeling. We have Trace (not much around now though), Ampeg (limited selection) Ashdown (which you're not interested in) and Peavey.

I've played through Peavey TNT combos before - only 150 watts on their own, so I doubt you'd be interested. I saw someone playing through the Peavey Firebass head with a Peavey 4 x 10 and 1 x 15. They were using an MIM Fender Jazz Fretless. It sounded really nice! A bit different to Trace, but very nice. Had I still been looking for a rig at the time, I would have brought in one of my Spector's to try it out.
  10. Mogo

Jan 3, 2002