1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown B15 Counter-Strike?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Oct 30, 2010.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
  2. That's awesome. I can only hope it's reasonably priced.

3. Thats awesome! Do want!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    never saw anything like it!!

;)

i think it's kind of cool that ashdown likes b-15's so much they made their own tribute version. kind of reminds me of the thiele cab b-15n's. i'm sure countries where b-15's are impossible to get without paying a fortune will be quite happy to see it. i don't see it as a direct competitor, though. the heritage b-15 is a boutique amp and it's the standard. but ashdown makes good stuff so i'm sure it'll find an audience. and then maybe you guys who goof at me for gigging a b-15 will finally get it ;)

5. Perhaps it will be mass produced and affordable. In this way it won't be a direct competitor for the Heritage B-15, but will be something for those of us who could never afford one, and if successful might encourage the affordable imported B-15 some have been wishing for in the B-15 thread.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the little bastard head is pretty affordable, but the only place i can find it for sale is in england, where it goes for about 400 pounds or 450 euros. i guess that would translate to around $650-700 here, right?

i'm sure if it sells, it would definitely make ampeg think about making an imported real b-15, but i'll tell you...the more i look at that heritage, the less i want to settle for anything but. it's getting harder for me to put that genie back in the bottle. i'd love a b-15 i wouldn't have to be overly concerned with taking to gigs and getting it damaged, but dang...that heritage...

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    This would be my hope.

8. Sorry guys, it's hand made in england with point to point wiring and limited to only 50 first run. HAHA ;)

Thank god for ashdown.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    A L.B. In the US is $650 & the good 15 cab is $900+ . I don't see this selling cheap here. L.B.'s here are super hard to get. I have been bugging my local Ashdown dealer all year for one with no luck. Like Orange, Europe gets a better price.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    $650 ain't cheap, but it's reasonable. this model head looks a little cheaper to build than the head-only version, though. i thought the heads were built in kentucky. what's the deal with only england having them?

11. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    OH MAN

Will buy

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Actually, the whole Europe can have it. DV247.com has it in stock.

Now, if you want one in America, well... first, maybe you should switch to 220V ? :D

(I knew I'd get my revenge from the Heritage B15... :D )

13. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Pretty slick - reminds me of the Matchless Thunderman. Interesting how they worked the latches, and creative use of using "stock shaped" transformers with the cage to give it a custom look.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    lol! i guess i can't blame you. with the leaded solder, you'd have immense difficulty buying a heritage b-15 new even if they wanted to sell it outside of the us. i'd be pretty excited about it if i lived in europe and didn't already have a b-15.

15. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Yeah, my thoughts too.....imitation is the best form of flattery. I don't see it as a direct competitor to the Heritage. I do think this could compete very well with whatever may be behind Ampeg's "Door #2 and #3!"

The head is $629.00 USD for the China version and the 212 matching cab is about $610.00 USD for a total of $1239.00 USD. This is just for comparison because obviously the pictured "Bastard" is a little different.

Actually there is a LE hand-built run of about 100 Little Bastard's in the UK and available only in the UK. Not point-to-point though. I have a hand-built, the demo unit from last winter's NAMM and it is a hand-built according to Ashdown. There is a review in the Amps forum and pics of the guts in the amp forum also. FYI, the hand-built version is about $100.00 USD more.

I don't think you need a $900.00 USD cab for the Little Bastard....it's only 30w. I'm currently looking at an Orange 15in cab in black....look's like it should run me $599.00 shipped to my door from Humbucker Music.

Anyway, I like all this tubey activity! I think that sometimes companies innovate away from what works and I see this as a sign that the amp market is making some moves "back to the future!" :D

I also believe that competition can only help us, the consumer, so, this is all good!!!

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    And it shall be called the Ashdown Drophead 30 115 H.

Hmmmmm....Drophead...... Is this a play on "pan head" as in early HD cycles!? :D

17. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    "Drophead" can be a British slang term for a convertible car too.

*Intrepidcellist watches too much Top Gear.

18. Must say i have never heard that term said over here. I do hear DropTop though, that may be what you were thinking about.

Liam

19. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Well, a quick "Google" of the term drophead and look what get's returned!

http://www.edmunds.com/rollsroyce/phantomdropheadcoupe/2010/index.html

2010 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe

Looks like Ashdown is referring to a convertible. Given the "427" and "Little Bastard" car references, makes sense. Also seems to round out the geographical refernces:

Little Bastard = German Porsche Spyder

427 = Detroit big block engine

Drophead = RR convertible

20. I take it its only a 30 watter then.

Pity.