1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Behringer Combonation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davebass, Nov 28, 2006.

1. alright all?

right here is the situation, i am currentley living on -£25 a week and i need a bass amp for medium sized gigs, 650 people tops. but i work as a volunteer for this local promotion company, and we are set to get a grant to get some new equipment. good thing about this is, although ill have to to take it to every gig we need it at, i get to keep it and use it at my gigs outside the company.

so i played a full behringer ULTRABASS BX4500H / ULTRABASS BB410 about 2 weeks ago, it was alright but it was a tad to tiny for me. i guess its due to the aliminium cones.

im also looking at a ashdown mag 300watt head + 4x10 ashdown mag cab for it. but from what ive heard the head may have reliability issues. bit of a concern when we get some nut case bassists plating.

so i i was to use the head form the behringer and the cab from the ashdown would that be better than getting the full behringer combo or the full ashdown combo?

am i going along the right lines or am i way off?

Cheers

Dave

2. and just as i say that GK backline 600 head and 2x10 + 1x15 GK backline cabs came into mind

any help?

3. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    I've owned the behringer head - not too bad for the price - but I've never had any experience with the ashdown gear. I am currently using the behringer 410 cab (with paper cones) and it just kinda seems like the sounds that come out of it are kinda...bland I guess and can be a bit boomy in the low-end. I'm running a SWR head so I don't think thats the problem ;) . I'm looking to upgrade to an avatar cab as soon as I get the $$$. Hope this helps.

4. The Behringer Bass amps I have played through clip way to easily and have no tone. Go with the Ashdown or the GK. I have played quite a few GKs and they are good amps, but I love my Ashdown.
    Jimi

5. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I owned the Ashdown mag 300 and 4x10 and loved the tone. What caused me to sell it was the need for more head room. It's not very loud when running at 8 ohms but was great when I added an extra 4x10 and ran it at 4 ohms. I just got sick of lugging two cabs around and got a Hartke 500 watt head to run with a single 4x10. The mag 300 has a nice warm sound and can also do punchy with the bright switch applied.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think saying the Behringer has "no tone" is just a little absurd. You make not like it but all amps have a tone. Behringer's tone just wasn't for you.

7. my only concern about getting the ashdown is that i keep hearing they are unreliable

only concern about behringer is the tone + there isnt a dealer anywer that i know of around here that stocks them. and i dont fancy buying online i dont trust the internet enough yet.

i havnt got any concerns about the GK option yet though

Cheers for your help

8. I have been using a Ashdown ABM C210-T-300 (the old version - not the EvoII) for approx. 7 or 8 years. It's served me very well as a backline amp or for smallish venues - it's loud with good tone. But...

The knobs and sliders on the front have been bashed to bits. This is not through careless use, just regular transportation. The amp is now starting to play up sonically, from heavy use too. So, would I recommend an Ashdown? - Yes!, but be a bit wary of a multiple user scenario with it.

I'm looking into a new 500 or 900watt Ashdown head with a flight case, plus the best damned cabs I can get my hands on, to make the most of it. If only we could get some Bergantinos over here!

That's not to say the Ashdown cabs aren't good, but I suspect the strength of the Ashdown stuff is more in the amp than the cabs. That's just my opinion tho'. Ashdown head with Ampeg cab! now there's a combination!

Also, If you're on a tight budget (as many of us are) I would definately recommend Peavey cabs over Ashdown Mags (Mags are Ashdowns cheap range) I tried the Mags today coincidentally!, but they sounded pretty naff TBH.

' Haven't tried the Behringer stuff myself.

Anyway, hope this is a helpful point of view. I still don't consider myself an expert after 17 years of playing regularly, but my opinions are based on my experiences.

Whatever you get you'll have a laugh! :)

Tom

9. yeah cheers for that mate, and every one else who has had input

i think im going to go GK for a number of reasons ....

its got to last a while so im thinking ashdowns may get beaten up.

and the guy im working with doesnt like behringer so he has ruled it out for me.

cheers guys

Dave

10. Id look into second hand peavey stuff, great at the price.

11. I have the full Behringer rig BX4500 head and BB410 and love it.

I too tried the BA410 with alum cones and didn't like them - too tinny. They would be really good for metal or heavy stuff, but I wanted more ooomph.

The BB410 are paper cones and are really nice.

I'm very happy with mine and my tone, and I have had 4 other players comment on the tone, and 2 asked to use my backline over their GK/Fender ones! I was a little flabbergasted but very happy they liked it that much.

12. arjosy

arjosy

Jan 4, 2006
    New Joisey
    I own the Ashdown MAG-300 and the Behringer BX3000. The Ashdown is the head I use for gigs with an Avatar Delta 210 and an Avatar 112 Neo. The Behringer is the rehearsal head. The one I leave at the rehearsal space and in the car as a gig backup to the Ashdown (thus guaranteeing the Ashdown will never fail). I like the Ashdown more. But you do need to run it with two 8 ohm cabs for real volume. Alot of people look down on the Behringers for various issues. You could probably read TB for a week and not hit all the Behringer hater posts. Ashdown definitely has the better reputation. I've never had any reliability issues with mine. I probably play it about 5 hours a week at gigs. And like the rest of my gear, I don't abuse it. Too make a long story short (too late) I would go with the Ashdown.

13. ah right cheers for all of this guys, its defnitley going to be ashdown or GK, but im heading towards GK backline becuase it will save a little bit of money and there for i can spend more of other stuff we need for our promotion company

Cheers

Dave