Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown C110

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bassbloke, May 7, 2002.

1. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Steve after our extensive correspondence earlier you may like to know that I've just taken delivery of the Ashdown C110. Unfortunately my band is taking a break at the moment so I won't get a chance to use it in anger until June. Hard to make any judgement of it in the house.

I think Ashdown owe you a commission on this one!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Scuse me, I would need a small combo for my practice/gigs. What about the amp? Does it sound "neutral" or it sounds with its distinctive voice?

4. Yeah come on Steve we know the ABMs are fantastic, but how good is the 1x10?

Also is it loud enough? I know you use a couple of extension cabs with it, but could you get away with just the combo?

You see I've either got to get an ABM 1x10 or a MAG 4x10 for a similar price. I assume the MAG will be louder but I know the ABM sounds better. Would appreciate your opinions?

5. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    For reasons too complex to go into I've only used my C110 on a couple of occasions. My two current projects are a jazz quartet and 10 piece disco/funk band. For the jazz quartet I must say the amp is just perfection itself - everyone is blown away by the sound. Whether it'll cope with the 10 piece band is still not certain: it sounded ok in rehearsal but this is a seriously loud band and I may need an extension cab for an actual gig, even though I'm DId. We start gigging again at the end of August so I won't know 'til then. At that point I may be looking for advice on the advantages/disadvantages of a 1 x 10" or 2 x 10" extension cab (obviously the former will be more portable/cheaper, the latter louder - but how much louder? At over 60lbs for the 2 X 10" I'd prefer to stick with the 1 x 10" if it did the job).

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    what about the mag mon 200-12?

i'm looking at one for small jazz gigs, rather than hauling around my bergantino 212/QSC rack.

i've considered just getting a 1-12 cabinet, like an aggie to use with my rack.

since the mag mons are discontinued, the aggie cab and ash combo are close in price.

decisions, decisions...

f

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The MAG Mon is a nice little amp - it won't give you the same output as a MINI12 with the 300 or 500 head, but for portability and the usefulness of the kickback thing, it's hard to beat...

check one out, I reckon...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've recently upgraded from an SWR Workingman's 12" to an Ashdown Mag 250 head and mini 1x15 cab (it's a different kind of sound - I liked my SWR, but the Ashdown rig has much more headroom without being massively larger or heavier).

I tried out a number of combinations at the Bass Centre in London on Saturday, mainly focussing on Ashdown gear (and including adding an extension cab to the Workingman's combo). Since size and weight were important factors to me, I paid most attention to the two Ashdown mini cabs available - 1x15 and 4x8.

Although I liked the sound of the 4x8, I felt it was a little harsh for my current need and chose to go with the smoother 1x15 instead. My next step, should I need it at some point, would probably be to add a 4x8 as well. See:

Ashdown ABM Cabinets

for specs on the different models available. If you can, get somewhere to try them out as well - there's a certain alchemy between player, bass, amp and cab that can't easily be summed up by specifications or even completely distilled from the experiences of others.:rolleyes:

Wulf

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ahh, a fine choice there Wulf - I bet it compliments the sound of your Sei beautifully! Look forward to hearing it soon! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Hey Steve,
    Well I finally made the jump to Talkbass.

Guess What! Ashdown is loaning me the ABM 500 and the mini 12 to go along with my mini 10 to use at BassQuake in September. Thought you might enjoy that bit of news.

DE

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Dan,

great to hear that - Bass Quake sounds like it's going to be an outstanding event. I'm really sad I can't get over there for it! you should post the details here in this forum, considering who the guests are... :oops:)

I hope it goes well - good to hear from you. and thanks for the Threshing Floor CD, it's great! I'm really enjoying it.

take care

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk