1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Cab... Dead Sunn Head - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeckoPunkStar, Oct 5, 2010.

1. GeckoPunkStar

GeckoPunkStar

Oct 5, 2010
    Hey folks.

For the last ten years I have been playing a hand-me-down rig that I pieced together from friends. The cab was crap, but I got my hands on a pretty awesome Sunn Coliseum 300 that I loved. This summer I decided that I wanted to buy myself a nice new Ashdown MAG 410T Deep cab (4x10", 450W, 8 ohms) because it sounded superb with my Sunn head and it fit my budget.

I got to play on my new rig live all of two times before I plugged my poor sunn in and ... hums and no volume... CRAP! Took it to the repair shop and they told me "hundreds of dollars". The thing put in a good 25 years of service, weighs about 4 million pounds, so I think I'm going to give her a nice burial and look around some more.

I have been reading about the Markbass Little Mark II's and III's, and tonight I went to GC and tried out the Little Mark 800 tube. I thought that it sounded nice, but I'm worried that I'm not going to get enough bottom end out of the 800 (Ken Jung?) to make the ashdown sound good. What are the Markbass amps really what I'm looking for? I don't have the kind of cash to buy a nice ampeg, but I like nice deep but punchy sound.

I tend to play rock, blues, and punk to varying degrees, but very little funk or jazz. Any help or advice anyone can give me would be really appreciated, especially if you have experience with the ashdown MAG 410T cabs.

(I'm looking in the range of about 500-800 dollars)

Thanks!

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    4 million pounds? I never thought my Coliseum 300 was THAT heavy... and i own it, and two 100w tube amps... but i'm sorry to hear your loss.