Ashdown Cab Selection Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jan 14, 2005.

1. i am looking at changing my Ampeg cabs SVT15E and SVT410HE over to Ashdown ABM series cabs. I now use the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO 11 Head and i want matching cabs.

Should i go for the ABM115 compact and the ABM210T compact ??

Or go the ABM 115 and ABM 410t cab. i quite like the idea of the compact ABM cabs ( not the mini ones ) as they are slightly smaller and easier to carry about. I think the mini ABM cabs may lack in handling drop d tuning for loud rock stuff.

Any help and users opinions of which cabs to get ??

Please stick to Ashdown only as im not thinking of changing the brand !!
  2. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    What's your new username going to be after getting rid of the Ampegs (good decision I'd say, by the way)? :p
  3. That's exactly the setup I use (ABM500, compact 15 and 210t) and it sounds fantastic. I'm really pleased with it. Very clean, tight and punchy with plenty of bass.

It probably hasn't got the extreme bottom end grunt of a full size 15 and for that reason I'm thinking of getting the ABM115-500 for larger gigs, but that's a pretty minor niggle.
  4. Hey guys where did you get yur Ashdown gear in the US?
    I'm in northern california and would like to give it a try!
  5. Well we are in the UK so cant help you im afraid, anybody else using the compact cabs??
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They handle the lows just fine. I play a version of No One Knows with a low C# and its just great. Exact same definition and crisp-ness / punch as notes in the 'normal' registers. Theyre plenty loud aswell.

Come to think of it, of of our locals scene's bands is the heaviest Hardcore i can brind to mind and their basisst plays a streamer stage one 5 tuned A,D,G,C,F [standard 5 string, down a whole step] through 2, mini4x8's and that sounds killer - competes fine with a crazy double kick drummer and 2, 100-watt stack guitars with 4x12's. IT really communicates that these cabs are 'long throw'.

The only draw back of it is it weighs a ****ing ton.
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use my combo which is pretty much just a mini 1x10 it easily handles Low A below B I'd go lower for some wierd solo bass stuff so I can get some different harmonics but strings get a bit flappy, the 1x15 I tried is amazing that will easily handle D I tried loads of basses through it from passive fender 5's to the BBEAST Yamaha and it eats low b for breakfast.

I know Steve Lawson used a mini 1x10 and a mini 4x8 with a 500 watt ashdown head for a while and he never had any problems with that rig handling low B when he was playing the Albert Hall.

I've only ever seen the compact series and there not really that compact stood on there sides there the same width as regular cabs and stood the other way there as wide as the mini's but as tall as regular cabs. I'd go mini or full sized or maybe a combination of mini 4x8 and compact 1x15 that could work they'd fit on top of each other well and would just stand a little higher than a standard mini rig.

Hope this helps
  8. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    American Musical Supply hooked me up with my MK500, and I think they have a pretty good selection of the Ashdown gear.
  9. I think i must have two cabs ( thats what ive always used ) as i want the portable nature and the 4 ohm total load.

Im still not sure to go ABM15 MINI AND 4X 8 MINI they do seem a bit small. Do you get good low depth for heavy rock stuff ??

I used to have the compact Trace cabs and i know they were fine so thats why i was thinking the Ashdown compacts as bigger than the mini cabs so more depth etc.

Ive heard that the 4 x 8 mini is pants on its own ??

Incidently i tried the mag series and didnt rate them, build quality was shabby and they didnt stack very well.

So ABM is first choice
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I play it on its own and love it. Its like marmite. Play it and make your own mind up.
  11. I've used the Mini48 and Mini 15 together for heavy stuff - Ozzy, Whitesnake, Queen, Rainbow etc, and while not wishing to be too negative about Ashdown, they didn't really have the sound I was looking for, but that could just be me.

I used to have the TE cabs you mention too - 1153 and 2103h - and you are right in thinking that the Ashdown compacts are closer to them than the minis.

I'd definitely recommend the Ashdown compacts. We play heavy stuff and drop the tuning down to Eb and they haven't let me down yet.
  12. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Maybe you could try that single 2x10 1x15 cab they made they were amazing Pino used 2 of them at that concert for the Queen. They can be had quite cheap I think Mansons had one in at 399 it was in a uk bass mag advert recently I'll see if I can find where it is if you want.

P.S. Handsup people who would be interested in an ashdown DI/pre pedal similar to the sansamp and ebs microbass. *Waves Hands*
  13. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    (Napolean Dynamite)Heck yes!(/Napolean Dynamte)