1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Cabinet or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sethplaysbass, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Hey so I'm still kind of new here, but I just got an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III head, and LOVE it. I am playing through my Ampeg SVT4x10HLF cabinet. I can get a great tone to my ears, and obviously, it is really loud so its going to sound killer, but I was having trouble getting that killer tone when recording. The miked cab sounded great, but the DI from my head was drastically different. It was extremely more mid-rangy, and very thin sounding. Even after multiple adjustments, it still didn't sound like I thought it should. My thinking is that the ampeg cab is not producing the sound of my head accurately. I will admit I should have turned down the master, and only worked on the DI tone without hearing it through the cab. However, I was just curious to see if anyone has heard a huge difference between this cab and an Ashdown 4x10 cabinet. It just makes sense to me to get a matching cab, but I wonder if there really is a huge difference, especially since I know my SVT is a great cab. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

-Seth

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I know this is obvious, but you did make sure it was post EQ, right? Sorry, I don't mean to be cheeky.

As far as Ashdown cabinets go, my only experience was the MAG 4x10, and while I thought it was great for that price point, I believe there are better options out there now. Depending on the tone you are looking for of course.

3. No, thanks for checking! Yes I did make sure it was post EQ. Yeah the cab I would be looking at is the ABM 4x10. The MAG stuff isn't as high quality. I am concerned though, to see that the ABM 4x10 cab's lowest frequency response is 70hz. Which is very low, but my ampeg goes down to 45. So maybe the ashdown 4x10 and a 1x15 might be amazing. But yeah just trying to figure out the best option! If you know of anyone interested in the SVT4x10 cab in Nashville, let me know!

4. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007

Why worry about whether or not the cab is producing the sound of the amp "accurately"? Every cab will sound a little different.

If it ain't broke . . .

5. Right. Well that's why I want to know if anyone has heard differences, and what those differences might be. Because I'm trying to decide if I want to get a different cab or not. For me, I want my cab to reproduce the sound of the amp in the best way possible. If something with the cabinet makes my head sound not like my head should, then that would make me want to switch. If i'm getting two drastically different tones from the cab and the DI then that just creates a problem when recording, and when playing live and my DI is used.

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    What confuses me is that you say the DI sound was not as good as the speaker sound, and now you want to go after the DI sound.

Given that you like the sound you're getting from the cab you have I wouldn't waste my time/money/energy checking out other cabs, IMO/IME.

Also consider that the DI sound may differ from the speaker output sound and will therefore be mutually exclusive to the cab you use.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I have used my EVO II with an Ampeg 610, 2 Ampeg 410HE's, 2 Ashdown ABM115's, an Ashdown ABM 115 w/ and ABM 210, and with an ABM410.

this was with a musicman stingray, fender US jazz, or a G&L L2k.

all of them sound a bit different. my least fave was probably the ABM 410. dont get me wrong, it sounded real good, but to get a full throaty low end it felt like it struggled.

the ampeg 410HE's get one helluva rock tone that throbs and pulses
    the 2 ABM 115s had a very nice vintage tone that felt warm and got gritty very nice..(didnt like that with the jazz too much as i felt it lacked high end presence... it also had less punchy presence from the 410HEs)

the 115 / 210 combo was VERY nice!! vintage low end with high end ping when you needed it.

the ampeg 610 just moans out the bass...
    and the 410 you use is about the same... both of those cabs are very low-endy and will add the low moan to your signal that the amp isnt necessarily providing.
    all in all you cant go too wrong with any option.. I AM really surprised that you think the DI is midrangy, Ive found it (esp. in recording) to be absolutely STELLAR!!!

8. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey man, you might be interested in a Carvin BRX 410 cab. It goes down to FIFTEEN HZ!!! You want lows??? This is the way to go!!

The cab is listed on the site as 4 ohms, but if you want 8 ohms so you can add a cab in the future, you can call Carvin and ask for them to wire the cab to 8 ohms. They are now offering this!!

Peace bro!~vv:bassist:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021