Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown cabinet!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tihi, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Hello!

What's would be the greatest difference of the ABM & MAG series?
    For example the MAG115 and ABM115 both have blueline speakers (only the ABM is 50w stronger).
    Is there any tonal difference or is the ABM just stronger and has better finish?

What would sound better with an GK amp?

Thanks!

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I would guess better woods and construction and probably and better or heavier magnet. But that's only a guess.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Not sure but I use the MAG 115 Deep and it is a bargain for the price!

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The speakers are exactly the same.

The ABM is a bigger cab, and so will go lower than the MAG. Also, the ABM has a tolex finish and the MAG has carpet. I dont know about wood or construction differences.

1 happy MAG user here.

5. I have the ABM210 & ABM115 Compact (w/Sansamp RBI & QSC RMX1450). For me the tone of the 210 is a bit middy, BUT with a bit of EQing, I can dial in a good bluesy sound out of it. Also usually keep the tweeter off. As for the 115, low freq response is @ 41hz. With the low B on my Lakland, I have no problems with the 115 going low. Specs sometimes don't tell the whole story.

ABM series also is made in the mother country (UK). :)

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, besides the obvious, (Covering, corners, handles, UK vs. China), The ABM cabs have AJUSTABLE tweeters, Speakon jacks, and speakers with generally more power handling...

For example: The MAG series 15's are rated at 150 watts, and the ABM's 15"s are rated at 300...

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, thats another good point. The new MAGs are made in China.

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Then why are all of the Mag cabs rated at a much lower power handeling then the ABM cabs with identical speaker configurations? I'm confused... :meh:

9. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I bet they just have the same speaker cones and not magnets.

10. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    That could be true... Although I would then consider them to be different speakers! Right?