Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bigwan, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Steve,

I'm the proud owner of an Ashdown ABM 1x10" combo - and am more than happy with it....I actually bought it after reading your review in Bassist!

My question is - did you get that 2x10" extension cabinet that you talked about on your website?
    Does it allow the use of a five string in anger - something I'm reluctant to do with the single 10" in the combo!

Many Thanks

Ian
    Belfast

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Ian,

I still haven't got round to buying the extra cab - I still haven't needed it!!!! The 1x10 on it's own seems to handle the low B on my 6 string admirably (I'm sure I could make it fart if I wanted to though... :oops:) - but when I tried the combination out in the US (110 combo and 210 cab), it did sound amazing, and the sound was much 'fuller' - it's still an option, though I'm thinking of going over to the new mini series cabs - a 4x8, 1x12 and 500W head, which is what I was using in the states in January - I'll still keep my 1x10 combo for ease of use, I think, but that mini stack rocked!

any of the mini series cabs would hook up well with the 110 combo... 110 + 112 would I think sound really good

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Steve

I'm currently using a Hartke 350 head and 4 x 10 (the 4.5 cab). I like the sound but a couple of years ago damaged my back and can no longer carry the cab on my own. I'm looking for something more portable and am considering two options:

- the Ashdown 1 x 10 combo
    - buying a Carvin 2 x 10 and putting the Hartke though it

The second option is cheaper but the first is more elegant - it would give me everything in a single unit and might leave me free to sell the Hartke gear.

I play a Yamaha 5 (Nathan East signature) and my current gigs are with a small jazz combo (the Ashdown would certainly be good for that) and a 10 piece funk/soul band (seriously loud drummer). I'm always DIed with the funk band.

My main concern would be drop in power/volume. I'd welcome your comments, first on whether you think the set up would be loud enough and second whether the problem could be solved by adding another portable cab.

Thanks,

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    the thing to check on both cabs is the SPL - sensitivity - a 2x10 that has a lower SPL than the 1x10 won't be as loud with the same wattage going through it. Do you like the sound of the Hartke head? if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but having said that, the Ashdown is an incredible little amp...

I can't make the call for you, but I think it speaks volumes that I've used my 1x10 for years without needing anything else...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Thanks Steve. I am really intrigued by this. I do like the Hartke sound, but it's the only serious set-up I've ever owned . I had a Trace 80 watt BLX before - fine for what it was but the Hartke gave me a huge boost in power and clarity. If I could retain that and have the portability of the Trace that would be a great combination.

I note your comments on the Ashdown mini-stack elsewhere but the price on that would make it a self-indulgence for a non-pro.