Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biffin's Bridge, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Any thoughts on Ashdown cabinets...I play a Status 4000 through an Ashdown ABM 300 and currently use ABM cabs, 1x15 and 2x10h...

Just feel it sounds a little boomy unless I back the bass right off on the amp...I play withy a bright jazz sound and sometimes struggle to create sufficient grunt...Any thoughts on the weak link..my instincts are the cabs..Experience..ideas..suggestions welcome

2. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My 4x10 and 1x15 (not Ashdown) have a similar problem. When I am in a small room like a bedroom then I can't seem to get enough low end. when I am at church which seats 1500+ and has 60ft. ceilings, it is real boomy and I have too much low end.

It may not be the cabs but rather, the acoustics of where you play. Each space/room has a small range of resonant frequencies where the frequencies tend to interfere constructively and create an overwhelming effect.

Do you have this problem everywhere you play? Are the room sizes significantly different in size? Is it just as boomy in a small room as it is in a large room/hall/club/arena?

If the problem is present everywhere and you find yourself not being able to "live with it," then you may want to look into different cabs. Another option would be to look into getting some type of crossover setup where you can adjust the volume/balance of your 2x10 and 1x15. This may be an external crossover or may be a new Bass Amp with a built-in crossover. Adjusting the balance and individual volume of each type of cab may cure your problem.

If the problem is only in certain sized rooms then that is exactly why your amp has an EQ. The EQ's original function is to "balance" out the frequencies in a room. Over time, musicians have lost note of this concept and only see the EQ's function is to obtain different creative "sounds & tones." We forget about room acoustics and how to correct for these inconsistancies. Try doing some knob tweaking the next time you come across this problem. One slight twist of the knob (or slide of the fader), that you may otherwise not think of doing different than your normal settings, may cure your problems.

Hope this helps.