Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown combo V.S Nemesis combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Mar 12, 2004.

Which one??

Poll closed Apr 12, 2004.
  1. Ashdown MAG 300 210

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Nemesis np-210

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this.here's some comparisons...

ASHDOWN / NEMESIS
    (MAG 300 210) / (np-210)
    Made:
    Britan / USA
    Construction:
    Magnesium/plywood / ......recycled wood?
    price:
    $830 / $850
    handles:
    Steel(inside) / plastic(inside)
    tube or solid?:
    both are solid state
    watts:
    307 / 400(I think)

extras:
    VU meter / handle on top

Speakers:
    both are 210's

NOW WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GET?????

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Eden gear, so I pick the Eden.

-Mike

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have been playing for 33 years. I have had the Nemesis for 4 years gigging twice a month with it. I like the tube like tone I get from it when I push it. I like it's weight and it's natural voicing. I run the eq flat and am very very pleased with the sound. I do run a Sadowsky preamp before it which really makes my passive basses come to life.

It's portable. Has all the features you want and it's loud enough for 95% of the gigs I do. Any time I have needed more, I ran a mic cable between the xlr our into a front of house.

I had a case/stand made for me that raises it 8 inches off the floor in the front of the amp and 6 inches in the back. The angled tilt makes it easier to here on a tight stage.

Other than continual gas for everything under the sun, I am very satisfied. It's been reliable. At the end of a night, it's light weight is really appreciated.

Good luck. :hyper:

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Check your price again on the Ashdown Mag 300-210....Zzounds and AMS both have them for around $450.00. Link to Zzounds.

That may make your decision a bit easier as you can add the 15" extension cab with it for only $249.00 so for $700.00 for both plus free shipping from Zzounds you got a killer rig for far less than you thought!! :bassist:Link for the Cab

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That's a really good price for the Ashdown. Another fine example of a well screwed together Made in China Product.

Music123 has the new line of Nemesis 320 watts rms NC210P, but they are much more expensive. I'd go with the Ashdown combination suggested above. You would have a nice mix/match depending on the venue.

Sure wish we had similar prices like that over here.

bmc

6. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Um were did you get the info that the MAG is china made?Last time I checked,its BRITISH!!!!!!

.......HOLY S***!!!!!!!!!!!!Are you serious??!!!!! Only $450???!!
    I emailed some guy and asked him,he said it was $830!Ive been saving up my money for a new combo,I have $400 dollars.A friend I know said he'll give me a good deal..... !!!!

After all that saving...day in and day out of waiting and waiting and waiting and never seeing the hand full of bills get bigger for what seems like FOREVER.I finally get some more cash and your telling me this amp ISNT $830 and that its $450??????!!!???!!!!????!!!!???

7. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Sorry to dissappoint you, If you have your heart set on spending that much, buy two and send me one!
    ;)

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    5{bass101]Um were did you get the info that the MAG is china made?Last time I checked,its BRITISH!!!!!!

I've had three dealers tell me that the MAG line is made in China. I was in London last week and had it confirmed there as well.The other lines are made in the UK, hence the price difference. Same goes for the GK Backline series. Made in China.

9. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    O you have got to be kidding me. I hate that so very much.Is their any reliable brand out their that doesnt surprise you with crappy stuff. I swear, I was so happy today Cuz I pretty much got 400 dollars just to here get a NASTY china bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had my mind set on that amp and just like the SWR 210c amp,its not US or BRITISH made.
    I swear I wish I could turn myself into one of the peanuts just so I could go "UUUUUUUUHHHHGGG!!!!!!!!!!!"

......I hate everything

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Dude! Chill!!! first, re read the user agreement... I think your post breaks a couple rules. You might consider editing the language.
    Second, what's the big deal??? Lots of Hi-end companies shop out to other nations for low priced lines.

You don't think a Ford is an American car too do ya?

How can you prejudge a product without knowing the QC standards that the Mother Company adhears?

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Just because it's made in china (if it is?) does not mean that it's crap. It still has the Ashdown name and is an Ashdown product and as such Ashdown should stand behind their product, No matter where it was made. I would be willing to put money on it that even the ones made in the UK are made with components that were made elsewhere (china?) That's just the way things are these days. It really is hard to find any product today that does not have components made somewhere where the labor to produce it is much less. Even the Nemesis is going to have some of it's "guts" made from elsewhere. That is a fact!!

12. SOME of its guts? Last I checked, the Nemesis has parts coming from Asia mostly and are being ASSEMBLED in the US. So, we are crapping on Ashdown because they didn't use a figurative loophole to trick people. Hey, if it sounds like an Ash, punches like an Ash, and looks like an Ash - then..... oh you know the rest. By the way, are those particular amps any good? I have another post on this. I just wanted to make my international market point. I love how people are willing to spend twice the price on "American made". My buddy has a Gibson bass that needs more work than my MIM P-bass. Oh well, good luck.

13. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Ok,Yes I did over react.Im sorry for breaking the rules.I am a AMERICANIST and have no problem admitting it.

14. Sorry to steal your thunder, but the GK backline series amps are in fact made in Stockton, CA. The sheetmetal is made in china, The circuit boards are loaded in Taiwan, but all of the parts are tested and assembled in Stockton.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    "Sorry to steal your thunder, but the GK backline series amps are in fact made in Stockton, CA. The sheetmetal is made in china, The circuit boards are loaded in Taiwan, but all of the parts are tested and assembled in Stockton."

I should really clarify my position on products made in Stockton, Taiwan, Kota Kinabalu, Fullerton or Round Fart Saskatchewan. I could care less. I have no issues with products made abroad. I'm not xenophobic. My shoes are Chinese. My car is German. My coffee is Italian. My house is Swiss. My passport Canadian.

If it's reliable, sounds good, comes with a warranty and is priced right I may just buy it. I bought a Shure SM58 last week in Seoul. I later found out it is made in Mexico.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    metalbass101....you could not afford to buy a rig completey assembled by USA citizens with USA made parts for $830.

-Mike

17. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah I know, but for some reason that phrase just seemed to match the heart of the intent of the post.
    :meh:

18. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    If you go with the Ashdown American Musical Supply gives you an extra year of warranty for free. I just ordered one. I too considered the Nemesis, and the Yorkville xm200t (nice amp) but the Ashdown had them both beat in bang for the buck.

19. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Congrats Deepwoods, I 'll be getting that same combo and the 15" cab extension in the very near future. Let me know the scoop and how you like it when you get it! Reviews!!! :hyper: