1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ashdown combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfgfgf, Jun 8, 2007.

1. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I've got that exact amp, the 15" has a lot of booty and sounds great. It keeps up with two 2x12 guitar amps and drummer :) The amp is on the heavy side though... not a big fan of the carpet (it gets dirty and smells :D)

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    As he stated, they are a little heavy for some people...but for what you get, it is a nice deal. I have the 210 combo with the extension mag 15 deep. I was curious so I unplugged the 2 10s and left the 15 in. It sounded nice deep and round with a hint of mid growl. Mag series get a nice mid growl with a kind of old school tone. It is a very bare bones head.

If its your thing, go for it...as for the carpet smelling and the weight, Mount it on a dolly or casters to keep it off the ground.

-steve

4. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    how about this ashdown vs hartke 1415 combo?

5. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I wouldgo with the ashdown on that comparison.....the head is 4ohm but the speaker only loads 8ohm which means you can add another cabinet to it..this means that the ashdown combo as it stands only puts out roughly 170 watts of the advertised power...but you can use all the power if, say, you add another 15 to it.

In that competition, I say that the ashdown wins with more power and the ability to add another cab to it.

6. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    and how is it in average in bass sound standards on 1 to 10 scale?

7. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Tone is subjective...Now, you have a US precision...It should run a nice low midrange bump with the right eq'ing. The Eq does have a comfort range...it can be too woofy or too bright with bad eq'ing. That said, I run mine with the eq bypassed to get my bass' pure signal (sometimes compressed though). It give a nice mid bump from the jazz. What amp do you play right now?
    With that info, I can tell you what you can expect from the combo.

8. Gorcbass

Gorcbass

Sep 16, 2005
    Galway, Ireland
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am also interested in this amp. What would it sound like with a cirrus running through the mag600. I'm thinking of maybe getting a 2x10 to go with it aswell.
    Thanks for any help mellobud.:)

9. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    right now i play yorkville xm50, and switching to something that would be good for playing with drums

10. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Ok...switching from a 50 watt 10in, It is going to seem full and deep. This will be heard through drums and you will probably love it. My 210 mag combo cut through drums and a marshall halfstack. The Mag is an excellent jump up from a practice amp to a loud giggable combo...Yes, all the guys on here run 410s and 610s and 215s but the good news is that you can add another 15 under that combo and it will make you fall in love with it again. I was happy with my 2 10s but then I was starting to want more, I added a 15 and fell in love again. This amp will seem miles above any practice amp and will cut through in a band...If it isnt loud enough for you...you can add another 15 but I think it will be enough for you at least for a couple years.

One word summary....with a P bass---Punchy

Oh, adding 210s to it...would cut through anything.

11. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  12. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Oh, It'll shake your house. It will do what you want, and it is a killer design...

one thing, there is an internal fan on the back and some people think it is loud...but I never notice it when I am playing...Probably a little quieter than a computer fan.

Attached Files:

13. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    i should specify - the one i am offered is "an older model" and has 12" driver. so 200 watt, 12", $400. should i go for it?

14. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    200 watt MAG with a 12 combo? is that what you mean?

15. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    12" sounds better , it'll be easier to carry it around, but won't the sound suffer? I'm into kind of 70's gary thain, john paul jones kind of sound

16. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    the guy said "200 watt ashdown with 12" speaker", he'll send me some pics soon, so i can post them and look at the model, but that's the only info i got so far.

17. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    sound would suffer..thats a different animal...Might be fine though

18. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
  19. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Maybe the old stuff was built in England before it was shipped overseas...might be worth it

Its a grey area Im not sure about...ultimately its your decision. Will the guy let you try before you buy?

20. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Hey guys

I have an Ashdown Electric Blue 180-15" combo. I love the amp. I use it for practice at home, and it is more than sufficient for playing at church right now. I don't know a lot about amps. If I needed more volume, is it as simple as say hooking an additional 15" up to the outputs on this? How much will this thing handle? Thanks for the help.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021