Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Crapped out on me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Nice... Brand new ABM 500 EVO II, third time using it, I have not pushed it at all...

I has worked great up until now...

I got to practice last night, plugged it in, hooked up a single 4ohm cab, and turned it on...

Didn't even have my bass plugged in... All levels set to zero...

I hear a bit of static, and about the time that I'm I'm thinking, "that ain't right", a pop and nothing but loud hum... :eyebrow:

I shut everything down and tried another cab, same thing... :(

I disconnect the cab, and use the line-out to a power amp and speaker, and the pre-amp seems to work fine...

So, the output section has totally crapped out on me in my second month of ownership... :mad:

Needless to say, I'm contacting Ashdown during my lunch break.....

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    All mass-produced amps have a proportion of early failures. The brand is entirely insignificant, as is price.

That's coming from a friend who's the house engineer at one of the largest amp factory-warranty stations in the country which handles virtually every amp brand sold in the US.

You just got the Old Maid. :(

At least you're under warranty.

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Yeah, I just wish that it was a few weeks earlier and within the return period of the retailer...

I should NOT have to pay for shipping this damn thing anywhere, or have to wait too long for it to be fixed/replaced...

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The gremlin rule says it dies within 48 hours of warranty expiration, but croaking shortly after store-return window is a less disastrous subset of that.

Well, good luck.

Warranty service is usually unsatisfactory from the owner's standpoint, but you may luck out. I know people who have had amps out on warranty repair for nearly a year[!] and no amount of screaming is getting them fixed due to the manufacturer simply not having the parts for the amp. :eek:

The large bulk of early amp failures tend to be extremely minor stuff like cold joints on the PCBs, so once they get to the amp, a fix is usually quick. The drag is that a lot of places do warranty repair on a low-priority schedule because there's more money in their retail repair work. That's not the way it should be, but its often the way it is anyway.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

This is such an important point and should be added to everyone's perspective. It is so difficult not to take product failure personally or demonize a brand forever for it. But it's really necessary to understand bongo's basic truth above! Good job, man.

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, I would really like to chalk it up to my own bad luck...

But... My first attempt at buying the same amp had similar results....

I ordered a "Scratch and Dent" ABM 500 EVO II that was "Garanteed to work perfectly"...

It arrived D.O.A.

That Output section (again) had a "dead short" or something, and I almost ruined my cabinet when I turned it on...

I sent it back, and finally saved up for a new one at full price....

This will be Ashdown's second strike with me... I hope that this situation is handled well on their part... My future with them depends on it...

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Shipment through common carrier is frequently the cause of these failures. The amount of abuse, shock and vibration to which an amplifier or axe is often subjected is just unbelievable. Multiply this by the number of times the unit has been shipped and you can see where something that was once perfectly good fails to work at all by the time it reaches you. A "scratch and dent" return has done a lap or three by the time it reaches you.

I was having this same conversation on another forum just yesterday.

Of course, an amplifier must be designed to sustain a good deal of abuse, but there's only so far you can go with that.

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Yeah, I know... My 17-year-old Peavey head has been through HELL... still starts up and performs perfectly every time...

In fact, That is what I am going to have to use for my upcoming gigs, since I sold everything else in order to fund the now defunct Ashdown....

9. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Now, I can't seem to get through to their Tech Help on the website...
    :mad:

Bile... Rising....

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    must be one of those takes about a year to fix models. Have not seen or heard from my amp since dropping it off at store for repairs in OCT 2004. Well actually I did get a call from a guy in New Jersey in Dec '04 saying they now have it and would fix it under warranty, still no amp or word since then. I too have an '80's PV MK VIII that is still alive and kickin but with my newphews band, sold it. I loved the sound of that Ashdown but at 12 bills new I expected more than a dozen uses out of it. I'm sure all the other new amps I bought over the years had their share of bumps while shipped but I never paid so much and never got so little use out of them.

11. I tried an Ashdown EVO 500 II into a matching 4x10. Sounded amazing with my Jazz Bass Vintage Re-Issue. Nearly fell off my chair when i grabbed a nearby Musicman Stingray.

After about 1/2 hr with it in the store, it crapped out, very loud hissing. Tried different basses, leads, cabs, cables, figured out it was the head.

I was seriously considering it, but just a damn shame, especially because Ashdown are pulling out from Australia as well, so tough luck with customer support. I've heard customer support in America for Ashdown ain't a walk through the park either..

Good luck though, I guess I'm gonna have to go the Eden Head/Ampeg Pre now.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ouch - hope you get it sorted quickly!

I'm a big fan of Ashdown gear, have an ABM 500 EVO with Mini 48 and Mini15 cabs. Also an Electric Blue 130 combo (15" speaker).

The ABM stuff has been fine, but my first Electric Blue combo lasted about 1 week. It was OK when cool, but after about 20 mins and it had warmed up, it just gave out lots of distortion. Managed to get it swapped out at the store no porblems and the second one has worked like a charm ever since!

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Ashdowns fail? No kidding! :O :O I won't make a single anti-Ashdown comment here as it's not necessary. The guys have done all the work for me! :) :D :) :D

ANDRUCA

14. buy trace! :p

*runs*

15. Thats peavey, i know thier aint everyones cup of tea, but they can take one hell of a beating!!!

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    no problems w/ my abm500 so far, but now i'm worried.

i wonder if the rackmount models can take more of a beating.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdowns are well known for having problems. It's too bad because they do sound fabulous.

18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    First that other guys Behringer blew up and now this. Back in the eighties I ran a lot of Peavey power amps and bass gear. This stuff was incredibly abused and not one piece of it ever had a failure. Hmmm.........

19. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, I have contacted Ashdown and the licensed retailer that I ordered it from....

Now begins: "The Wait"...

You know, I would think nothing of this if it were not for the other one that arrived to me with a bad output section...
    (I mentioned it about midway up the thread...)

Quite a coincidence...

20. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Update:

My $1,000 amplifier is now a $1,000 paperweight that is currently doing a steller job of holding down my now useless Ashdown ABM cabs...

(still havn't heard from Ashdown or Music123) :eyebrow: