Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown, Crown, Avatar ...

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Tony, May 13, 2005.

1. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Time to try something new, so it's "out with the old" ...

NEW PRICES :eek:

First up is an Ashdown EVO RPM-I preamp - the John Entwhistle model. It's in excellent shape and works flawlessly. Great preamp with very usable features. Comes in a brand new Grundorf 2 space rack. I'll also include the power cable and banana plug cable for bridge mode ... $500 + shipping *SOLD* :hyper:

Next up is a Crown Xs900 power amp. Also in very good shape, although it does have some rack scratching on the bottom cover. Front is great though. Serious, serious power 600w/ch @ 8ohms, 900w/ch @ 4ohms, 2100w/br @ 8ohm, 2500w/br @ 4ohms. I've run this combination through Eden, Bag End, Peavey, Avatar, and GK cabs and it's massive sounding and never breathes hard ... $600 + shipping

Finally, an Avatar 410 Delta Pro ... picked up about 4/5 months ago new from Avatar. Has the original crossover. In very good shape, no tears in the carpet, no scratches, no problems with any of the drivers. Looks, sounds, works great ... a steal at $250 + shipping ...

EDIT: Figured wth, may as well see if there's any interest in a great sounding, slightly rough fretless, soooooo ....
    Carvin LB75 ... this was originally a fretted instrument with black paint, circa '93/'94 and I'm the original and only owner. It's a neck-thru, liked the bass but it always sounded "muffled", so I stripped the paint off and refinished it in cherry. Helped the sound tremendously, but then it sounded like it really wanted to be a fretless, so had Roger Giffin in LA pull the frets. Sounded better, so next up was a set of Barts, followed by an EMG BT pre ... now the thing sounds great, plays great, looks good from 5 feet away, but up close, you can see it's an older, used instrument. Nothing affects the tone though, and the tone is excellent ... looking for $250 + shipping. *SOLD* :hyper:

Pics available for all the above on request.

Thanks much,
    Tony

2. baller520

baller520

Feb 22, 2005
    Is the 410 an 8 or 4 ohm cabinet?

- Matt

3. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Hey Matt, it's an 8 ohm cab ... also pm'd you ...

Thanks,
    Tony

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I'll take that Entwistle off your hands. I'll pm you right now.

5. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    The Ashdown is gone, but everything else is still available ...
    Thanks

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Got pics of the carvin?

7. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Yep, got a bunch of them. Shoot me an email addy and I'll get them sent over to you ...

Thanks,
    Tony

8. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Well, time for a "getting close to ebay" bump ... also, a price reduction on the Carvin due to a tuner missing the locking screw.

Thanks,
    Tony

9. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Okay, last chance for some great gear at phenomenally low prices. The Crown and Avatar are in excellent shape, the Carvin isn't, but the electronics alone are almost worth the purchase price ...

... Everything goes on the 'bay Sunday night ...

10. PM sent.

11. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    PM's replied to and pictures sent ...

Thanks

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Somebody BUY this *@#! Carvin already so I can't...

13. if the cab can be wired for 4 ohms i would be intererested.
    how is it wired how many ohms are each driver?

thanks

-todd

14. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Todd, I'll email Avatar, but to the best of my knowledge, it can't be rewired to run at 4 ohms. Could probably be wired to run at 2 ohms, but I don't think 4 ... I'll let you know for sure when I get a reply from Avatar ...

Thanks,
    Tony

15. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    C'mon Eli, you know you and the Carvin were made for each other ... :D

take care,
    Tony

16. if you just figure out how many ohms each driver is we can figure it out... just pull a spkr and it sould say...

-todd

17. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Hey Todd,

I'm afraid that the cab is in my rehearsal space and I won't be able to get in there before the end of the week, so can't pull a speaker to see. However, I've emailed Dave at Avatar speakers about the cab and wiring combo's, so as soon as I hear back from him, I'll let you know what he says.

However, to the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to wire (4) 8 ohm speakers in a way that will give you a 4 ohm total load (or for that matter, (4) 4 ohm speakers to get an 8 ohm load. Wired in series, (4) 4 ohm speakers would give a 16 ohm cab - the same speakers wired in parallel would give a 1 ohm load. Wired in series/parallel would give the standard 4 ohm load. Using 8 ohm speakers, (4) wired in series would give a 32 ohm load, while wired in parallel would give a 2 ohm load. Series/parallel would give an 8 ohm load.

But I've been wrong before, so I'll let you know what the good folks at Avatar have to say ...

Thanks,
    Tony

18. you sure sound smarter than me...
    i beleive you

-todd

19. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    *LOL* ... not smarter, but worked as a tech for too many years and had to replace drivers in too many cabs. But like I said, I've been wrong before, so I'll wait 'till I hear back from Avatar before I pronounce it as gospel ...

... Y'know, you could always buy my cab, get another 8 ohm cab and you'd have your 4 ohm load ... :hyper:

20. i need a 2 ohm load my man, and i dont want 4 bass cabs.
    well, i want 4 cabs, but cant afford it

:crying: