1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ashdown ctm 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bennymalta, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bennymalta

bennymalta

Apr 19, 2012
    Am really interested in this new head from ashdown, the ctm 100. My biggest concern is its loudness.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the orange AD200 and I loved the amp, and it was pretty (extremely) loud. Problem is that it is a bit more expensive than the ctm 100 (about 450 euros difference).

So now I'm leaning onto the 100 watter head from ashdown but I'm afraid that its a weak head.

Will there be a big difference in loudness between the ad200 and the ctm100. I can't really understand how valve amp power rating or things like this work, for example will the ctm 100 be louder than a 500 watt solid state amp?

Anyway but I can understand that when it comes to all tube amplifiers the speaker cabinet makes a huge difference - Im planning to hook the ctm 100 up to an ampeg svt 410 hlf (500 watts @4 ohms).

Don't know if anyone here is using a ctm100 or anyone has ever tried one but is this amp loud (meaning that master and gain almost full would bring down walls)? do you get a nice clean headroom or does it get dirty real quickly (even more than the orange)?

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate if anyone can help me out.

thanks!!

Ben

2. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    Bump this up. I want to know also and I know there are a couple cmt-100 users on here.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not an Ashdown user, but I think they are good products. The Orange stuff is not my thing, as I like clean. IMHO, 100 watts into a 500 watt 4 ohm cabinet will not deliver much clean volume.

You need 500-600 watts. More is fine. Ampeg PF-800, Gallien Krueger MB 800, Markbass, etc.

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I love Ashdown stuff, AND I loved the Orange AD200b's Ive had.... but ive NEVER found a 100 watter that was loud enough... ever. I can be loud, but you lose clean headroom QUICK.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Watt ratings on cabs have no bearing on clean volume.

TMARK and AstroSonic like this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Of course not, but a 100 watt amp is just not going to make that cabinet sing. I have tried it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. The best thing to do is go out and try the head with the same cab for a few hours.

I own the CTM300 and I can confirm that the head is an absolute MONSTER! It is RIDICULOUSLY loud! Over 12 and it used to drown my drummer out in my old band, which was fun at rehearsals! ;)

I've only ever heard good things about the CTM100, in my experience that 100 should be loud enough, the cab should be fine to support it, and provide you with decent headroom. If you're that worried about it, then email Ampeg and ask their opinions about using a 100 watt valve head to power it.

8. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Watts don't come into it.

Sartori likes this.
  9. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Watts have almost everything to do with how much clean headroom a tube amp has.

Sartori likes this.
  10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    But the amp is not determinant of volume, since amps produce no sound.

11. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Riiiight.... and back in the world of common language....

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Ashdown CTM100 is extremely loud and even more louder if you want to really crank it up.

One of the loudest tube amps on the market and it really can destroy a venue.

Ashdown endorser(16 years).

Sartori likes this.
  13. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Even though jauqo is an endorser, I would take his words for it because he's always been a straight talker on ashdown with me on both positive and its limitations...
    Good to see you again jauqo, where you been?

And how do you think it handles the lower notes at volume?

scars likes this.
  14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Thank you and I hope people understand that 16 years is a long time to be endorsing and using a bass amp, my comments on Ashdown are honest.
    As far as handling the low notes I have not used a CTM100 with my sub contra bass but I have used one with 5 string basses and the low end is crazy precise.

And I've been around but not on tb a lot, to be honest the negativity on tb has really gotten old and I really don't need to be around that especially when people think it's kool to talk bs(as they hide behind a screen name).

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    @ OP—Get and use what you like. I prefer plentiful clean power, and have found it in the Crest CA-6, Mesa M9, and GK MB800. If the CTM100 floats your boat, carry on.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Why not shed light on this for us all? In thy light, perhaps we will see light. :cool:

17. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    An Ampeg 410 is not going to be SVT-type loud, whatever the head. That Ashdown 100 tube head is unique for using 2 KT-88 output tubes instead of four 6L6 or four EL-34. If you prefer tubes and 100 watts is enough, go for it! Rock On!

18. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    aead07e1-d7d5-4fd4-bf11-8ab06ef5ab8f.

About a month or so new- One of the FINEST sounding rigs I've owned, and that includes some serious gear, like Bergantino, T-Funk, etc.
    Loud? Uhhh yeah, and besides that:

From Ashdown:

Amazing direct tone with tube-driven DI output

Don't worry, your tone won't suffer if you plug your Ashdown CTM-100 directly into your sound system or recording interface. The CTM-100's tube-driven, transformer-derived DI output has an isolated ground so you get maximum sonic purity from this convenient direct connection.

FOH, you're as loud (and in this case toneful) as you need to be.

HIGHLY recommended!

19. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    im on the fence between this and the fender bassman 100t

Gavin220168 and outoftune like this.
  20. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I'm interested in the CTM100 as well, and also have an Ashdown LB30. Anyone able to tell me what difference having 2 KT88's would make ? i like the idea of having less tubes to switch out but will it make much difference on tone or is it too subtle to notice live?