1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown CTM100 or ABM 500 EVO III???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chazsundance, Oct 21, 2013.

1. chazsundance

chazsundance

Jan 5, 2011
    So I'm stepping back into the game here and getting a live rig. I have the option of getting an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III or the CTM100 for only a few bucks more.

4 years ago I was playing a Mesa Big Block 750 with a 610 cabinet for loud rock music. We played stuff like Alien Ant Farm, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters.

I'll probably be doing similar stuff but I've never owned an all tube head and the CTM 100 is very intriguing. Do you guys think this would be loud enough in medium size venues in a loud rock band? Would the ABM500 be a better choice?

I'm also thinking about grabbing either the ABM 610 cab or 410 to pair up with either of these heads once I decide.

What's your opinions?

Thanks
    C:bassist:

2. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I like Ashdown gear but your previous Mesa unit was godlike in comparison to these two options. Therefore you do need to get out and try them both to make sure you're not setting yourself up for a trip to frown-town. Neither Ashdown will have the headroom of the Mesa. The CTM will be much dirtier than the ABM. The ABM will have a warm full midrange.

Both are probably loud enough for most sane bandrooms (especially with a 610 in tow) but still probably quieter than your old Mesa.

3. chazsundance

chazsundance

Jan 5, 2011
    I hear ya man, I miss my Mesa but I just don't have the $$$ now to replace it. I think I might be in the mood for something different, like a tube amp.

Unfortunately I'm having to order either one of these amps without being able to try em :eyebrow:

Thanks for the input though.

4. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Well, Nate (from FF) seems to have a preference for the ABM models for stage, and the tube heads for recording.

Not saying that you should base your decision around that, but it sometimes gives you some insight as to why people choose to use one type over another. IPYF covered the tonal thing dead on to I think. The midrange on the ABM is certainly a nice thing for live situations.

5. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA

I disagree on this. I liked the Mesa 750 but it wasnt much if any louder than the Ashdown CTM. I also preferred the CTM tone. The CTM is not dirtier than the ABM just a fatter tone naturally. The ABM can get close depending on how much tube you dial in. The CTM has dynamics and a tube feel the other two just cant cop IMHO and I have owned all three.