Ashdown Di Box/Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 17, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right I guess this is an Amp's question and not a effects one but who would be interested in a Ashdown Di/Preamp pedal similar to the sansamp, radial, ebs and mxr ones that are on the market.

I love the Di of my ashdown its fantastic and clear and I also love both the natural sound of the ashdown with the di totally by passing the pre section and when the pre is set to out with the push button.

I was just wondering how many others of you would be interested in something like this so far I think the spec should be.

Ashdown pre as what's in the rpm and abm heads but minus the tube, to cut cost weight and size.

I'd be happy with just the pre set ashdown sound with the eq out and the di pre or post eq but some of you might like the knobs and sliders.

I'd love to see the VU meter in this pedal but depends on size.
    Not bothered about the octave effect.

I think a two channel system similar to the radial bassbone would be a good way to go allowing you to either have two eq settings or two basses pluged in.

Headphone out, since most ashdown amps lack this I think it would be extremly worth while.

So what do you guys think, maybe this would happen, or maybe I'm gonna have to have a mag head butchered by some electronics whizz but either way I'm interested in your thoughts.

2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Would love it.

Just the one channel for me though, and certainly no VU meter. Maybe a switch to move to a more 'valvey' sound though, like engaging the tube on the amps, but with no tube?
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Man I thought more people would want this. I like the idea of the tube emulation but ashdown haven't really done this before so might be a problem, but I just love the natural colouring it gives my sound.

Maybe the Harmonic Emphasis control would be useful as well.
  4. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I can't see it really competing in that market - the sansamp has the tube sounds signed, sealed and delivered with EBS offering more comprehensive tones and options. I've not seen a radial bassbone so can't comment.

As much as alot of people love the ashdown sound, I reckon they'd find it difficult to 'pedal' it. Their power sections for example are top notch and I feel contribute quite significantly to the sound quality of the ABM's.

Basically I think a pedal/DI version would be like the MAG series, close but definitely no banana.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as people said, they'd have to do it better and cheaper than the Sansamp.
    definitely two channel, either full two channel or two stage eq (i.e. first stage kicks in bass/treble, second stage kicks in mid cut/boost).