1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Dual Tube 550 video. Finally !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob J, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Ashdown posted this video today on their Facebook page :

Ashdown Engineering Dual Tube 550 Bass Head Walk Through and Demo - YouTube

What do you think of it ?

To explain, I´ve always been an Ashdown fan, but what they lack is, from my point of view, a good video presentation of their products. So when I saw the video this morning I was pleased by its quality. The guy even starts playing before 1:00 :) Also the amp sounds really great. I like the ability of this amp to sound both modern and a bit old-school. The tube driven sound is really nice as well...

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a Spyder 550 and I agree with every thing that was said about the amp in the video.

And I usually run it through a Ashdown CL610 cab.

Ashdown endorser.

3. Sounds good! Always been a fan of Ashdown products.

4. Sounds good indeed. A bit disappointed with him cutting the mids the entire demo but the 550 still sounds damn good.

5. Man, you must have massive sound with a rig like that...

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Most definitely. And the amp is extremely versatile.

Attached Files:

7. For the last six years I have loved everything about Ashdown except their signature sound, and eventually went in a different direction.:( On this amp, though, the overdriven tubes sounds a lot nicer than my old ABMs, so this sure seems like a step in a direction that I wouldn't mind them going.

I'm still not crazy about the inherent voicing and what it does to the highs and high mids, just my opinion of course. And of course that might just be the recording fooling my ears.

Martin

8. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    ?...I see the "mighty" Thunderfunk in the pic!!!

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That belonged to another bass player that was playing on the same bill who performed earlier.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thought that too on the TFUnk cab but I see your Ashdown 610 over your left shoulder back there. Wondering here, there seems a fair disparity in the price of the two Ashdown 610 cabs I've priced. Seems one is made in the US ( not sure what model its labeled) and is pricier, rated to handle more power, etc.

Is the ABM 610 made in China or what? And are the ABM's blueline drivers very inferior to what's loaded in the US 610? Again not sure what "brand" of drivers are in the US cab. Just wondering here for a quick answer, though I'm still researching each cab. Also wonder how that Spyder 550 might sound with a 8 ohm, UL410-II or with both my UL410 cabs? Do the Ashdown cabs give thier amp heads alot of "that tone"?

11. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I happen to find that vid earlier tonite while searching for the Mibass found the Spyde 550, I sure do dig that tone. I miss my Evo RCII but not the size n weight so much.

Again, wondering how that Spyder or even the lesser MiBass might sound with my more modern cabs. Either UL410x2 or GB Neox 212Tx2 (but they are 4ohms each),or 2xTC-RS210's or even my TB153.

Maybe a 610 cab aint needed afterall. :eyebrow: But it'd keep me from haulin two cabs. :hyper: Sigh.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

The ABM is made in china except ABM1000, abm2000.
    The CL / USA series in made in the UK / USA and is easily double the price, mainly US/ UK labour costs and they are fitted with Eminence speakers made in the USA, but of course this costs a lot as well .

As far as pairing the Spyder 550 with a cab or cabs other than Ashdown I've never done that,