1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown EB180+MAG210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadBass, Apr 9, 2006.

1. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    I know there are several threads about this head and cab, but I just want to make sure they are right for me.:smug:

I am going to try them next week btw.

I am on a bit of a budget so am looking for a reasonably priced setup.

I play in big bands, jazz, concert bands, pit bands and other sorts of groups apart from heavy rock and that..

I have recently been playing a Roland Cube 100 which belongs to my teacher, and have found this to be great! More than enough volume for small gigs.

So, can you pros reccomend that this amp is right for me basically? What are the downsides to this amp, if there is any? What should I look out for when trying?

Also, can I connect more than one cab to the EB180 head? I will be getting a MAG 210 cab, and maybe in the future, buy a MAG115 to go with it. Will they work together? I dont really understand all the ohms bit and what will work together.

Thanks all!!:D ;)

Matt:help: :bassist:

2. The EB 12-180 is a very nice combo.

Plenty of volume (for a 180w combo), and nice tone.

It has a minimum load of 4ohms. The internal 12" speaker is 8ohms, and if you plug in an 8ohm 210 extension cab, that will make the total load 4 ohms, which is the head's limit.

You can however, unplug the internal 12" speaker and use two 8ohm extension cabs for a 4ohm load if you like, just using the combo as a head.

:bassist:

3. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Well, I am really set on getting the separate head and cab. So I guess the EB180 will take a MAG 115 and a 210. Wont get another cab for a while though, need tom get the 180 and cab 1st. Any more comments:help: :p

Matt:bassist:

4. I'd go for it. I'm guessing you saw the sound control deal. I'd personally get it, sell the head, get the mag head (if you want more power) and then add the MAG 1x15. Hey presto, an awesome rig right there for you.

Enjoy the Ashdown.

5. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Maybe, but I reckon id keep the 180 head for a bit as it would give enough power for me at the moment. Get a 1x15 though to go with the 2x10 sometime.

Lets see when I try it:p

Matt

6. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    I guess the EB180 head will take both of these cabs wont it:confused:

What power would it produce then? I need to try and get to grips with this ohms law thing:smug:

BB:bassist:

7. get the EBhead, and a 1x15 cab, this will be pretty cheap, then you can buy a 4x10 cab in the future. then you have a stack which will look and sound pretty good. i personaly would get the ashdown MAG 2x10 combo, great volume good sound, and you can always add a 1x15 cab in the future, and still have a lovely stack, you would probably end up selling the 180watt eb head in the future, for more voulme. the EB head will power the two cabs at 4ohms, and then would be putting out the full 180watts. without an extension speaker, the amp wont be putting out its full potential, but its probably the same story with the roland cube, so you will still get more volume. watts are not a measure of volume, but can be used as a rough guide, the ashdown should be louder than the roland

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played through an electric blue 180 12 inch combo today (my girlfriends) and was impressed. Definitely a nice little setup.

9. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Ive got no doubt that I will sell the EB180 head in the future for hopefully an ABM head. The main reason why I am looking at this particular setup is that it is on offer for £200.

How is it not putting out its full volume, when the cab is 200w and the head is 180? is it something to do with this ohms thing again lol:meh:

I will probably get a 1x15 to go with it or a 4x10 or something...wow then it would be a 6x10...that would be pretty cool:D

Thanks,

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi
    If the cab is 8ohms then you wont get the full output from the head as it will only do that at 4ohms. you will get around 120watts with one 8ohms cab. the 200watt rating of the cab means that it can handle 200watts, not that it has to. if you connect 2 8homs cabs then that equals 4ohms and thats when you will get the full output from the head.
    I had the EB150 C-115 for aover a year and done quite a few gigs with it and it was plenty loud for the smaller gigs like pubs.
    I upgraded to a MAG C-115 and it has the same sound but is louder. if you can afford it i would say get the MAG because yuo will get a cleaner sound at louder volumes.
    but for £200 you cant get a better deal IMHO

11. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Aha;) I see. So if I connect a 1x15 and the 2x10 to it, I will get all of the 180w.
    I cant really afford a MAG head at the mo. Need to get a new bass after this! Then I will think about changing the head maybe, but if I can get all 180w out of two cabs, then that will be more than enough for me for the next several years.

There is no major sound difference though between the EB and the MAG is there. At full volume, the amp doesnt distort does it, it will be the cab. But with just the EB 180 and Mag 210, I should be able to use the head up to full volume shouldnt I without distortion?

Sorry for asking such basic questions, I have a lot to learn:help:

Thanks,

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    There is no difference between the sound of the EB and MAG but you wont be able to run either to max without distortion. i doubt you can with any amp.
    I have been giging for the last 2 years with a MAG C-115 and the loudest i have gone on the master is 3/4 and there was distortion. it sounded ok for the heavier songs but i didnt like it. you may not need to run the EB at max with 2 cabs but if you do the amp will start to clip. this is like a mild distortion which can damage your speakers in the long run i believe. you cant run the amp with full output in to just the 2x10 cab but if you run it at max you will clip the amp

13. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Best not do that one then:scowl:

Should be loud enough, Ive also been using my schools Carlsbro bassline 50 for school band use and with a big band also, and it was plenty loud enough. I did a small show of Grease recently playing bass, and used the Roland Cube 100, I played quite loud, too loud if anything, and it was only on no. 2 out of the 10 volume settings on it. I dont see any reason really why it shouldnt be loud enough, It will do me just fine. And with 2 cabs maybe next year it will be great! I am not a pro player...yet, only 15, so I dont need a MAG head really.:meh:

Best just see what its like when I try it:p

Thanks,

BB:bassist: :hyper:

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, well good luck with what ever you get. im sure the EB will be loud enough.
    The MAG/EB's are great sounding amps. i prefer the MAG sound over my ABM sound (thats why i got rid of it). Although i use a MB SA450 + 1210 i wouldnt hesitate using my MAG if i had to (apart form big gigs)

15. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    I thought the ABM range were the best of tho lot? Anyway, il let you know how I get on:D God i love new equipment!:hyper:

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The ABM range is the dearest of the lot
    The ABM is not just a better MAG, its quite a bit different.
    I love the sound of the MAG but the EQ on the ABM is different and it sounded wooly to me.
    Im not knocking the ABM, i just didnt like it. plus they are quite a bit more expensive for the same output power

17. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Just contacted my local Sound Control store where they were selling these setup, and theyre all sold out:crying:

Might be looking for a different rig after all. Might look into second hand rigs, if anyones got a good rig for sale in the UK(north-west) for £250 max, please PM me.

Any suggestions for what else I should look at as an alternative? Max power for low cost. Ive seen the Behringers, but theyre not too good are they?

18. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    check PM's brother