Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Electric Blue 180-12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Apr 8, 2004.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I'm considering the above amp to use at rehearsals/quieter gigs. The size and weight (37lbs.) is the maximum I can handle. What do you guys think about this amp? Would it be enough to play with a drummer? I can't play through one here where I live, but the specs and features seem pretty good for the price ($265). Can't really afford much more than that.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    i have the older (and more expensive) 150 watt model with a 15 in. speaker and it is more than loud enough. i often play in a church band with 2-3 guitarists, loud drummer, keyboard, and 2-3 singers. it hang no problem and i'm the only one not going through the pa. plus, it sounds great. i've heard it described as a modern take on ampeg and that sounds about right. little more definition and ability to go low with the subharmonizer and deep boost. but still sounds like a "rock" combo. if i had to do it again, i would probably opt for the 112 for the smaller size. good luck

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have an original EB 130 with a 15" speaker. I've managed fine in band practise with a loud guitar and a drummer. If you weer playing live - it has a DI out the front for going into the PA. Mine with its 130 watts is plenty loud for such a small/portable amp.

One thing to watch though, check to see that it can output the 180 watts all on its own, and doesn't need an extension cab to rech max power out.

bino - does you 150 watter need an extension cab to make the 150 watts? I ask as mine doesn't have an extension speaker jack, so 130 watts is all it has......but I've never found out if the ones with the extension jack need the extra cab to reach max power out!

4. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I've used the anemic LA-15 from SWR with a heavy drummer and a loud guitar player and I still got my sound out there. I would imagine with 180 watts and a 12", it would be more than enough to make it through the mix.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Johnny BoomBoom - The EB 150 does need an extension cab to utilize all 150 watts. I was told by Ashdown that it pushes 100 watts internally. I know nothing about electronics and am not sure why it doesn't split evenly at 75 watts, I just took their word for it. But it is pretty loud. And somehow sounds better as it heats up, although there aren't any tubes. Maybe that's just me warming up.

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the replies. I looked through the online owners manual for the EB 180 and it only puts out 120w into the internal speaker. I wish they would put out full power without adding on speakers. I've got a big rig if I want to get REAL loud.

Alan

P.S. Does anyone know why they're cheaper now?

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ?

8. they're made in China now. the olde ones (150 watts) were not I think, but the new ones (180 watts) are overseas production.

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got one of the 180W 1x15s, and it's managed quite comfortably against a drummer and (noisy!) guitarist. I don't imagine you'll have any problems with the 1x12, and I think the EB range are great amps for the money.

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Wingnut, do you use an extension cab with yours? Has anyone compared the 15 and the 12 to hear the sonic differences?

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I don't use an extension cab with it, and I've not been able to compare the 15 and 12 versions, so, um, sorry I can't be of more help :D...

12. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, thought I'd follow up on this thread. I finally got one of these amps. First off, it's a lot heavier than Ashdown claims. They say 37#, FedEx says 62# with packing. 25# of packing? Doubt it. The amp sounds good though. I played a quiet gig with it and it handled that superbly. Tried it with a loud drummer and had to plug the DI into the PA. The LED VU meter is kinda worthless. If you crank the pre-amp enough for some of the lights to light up, your headroom is gone. The sub-harmonizer didn't sound very good either. On the plus side, the amp has good tone. The deep switch really fills out the low end, the 5 band EQ gives you a wide variety of sounds, and the DI sounds great into a PA if you keep the settings close to flat. Overall, I think this amp will cover rehearsals/quiet gigs well.
    I got the chinese version that is just now available, don't know if the british ones are better or not.

Alan

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Remember FedEx charges by weight, the heavier they make an item out, the more they charge!

Have never weighed mine......might try over the next week or so out of curiosity!

As for using the VU - make sure that you are putting your bass inot the correct input - one is for passive basses, one is for active!

Mine doesn't have the sub-harmoniser, so don't know how it sounds in the EB series - but it sounds great on my ABM (mind you the ABM doesn't have a shortage of power to drive it, the EB mightt not drive the sub sounds as well!)

Glad you like the amp overall though!

14. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Okay, I weighed this thing and it's 49#. That's 12# over Ashdown's spec. I wonder if all the specs are 25% optimistic?

BoomBoom, I've tried passive and active basses in both inputs and it seems like all basses sound better in the high input. The best sound I can get is with the master cranked and the pre controlling volume. How do you set yours?

Thanks, Alan

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hmmm, I'll need to weigh mine now - you've got me curious! I wonder if the weight has swollen since the EB 130 (which I have), although I can't think why it would!

I've always put my active basses in the Low input (I think) and my passive in the high input (I think).

Gain is usually at about between 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Master volume is set to suit the conditions - at usual practise it was about 1 o'clock!

Generally the EQ is set flat (ie off) and I don't touch the bright or deep buttons!