Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Electric Blue 180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobito, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Thanks to the advice I have received on these forums, I have decided to buy an EB 180. However, I am having a tough time deciding which one - the 12 or 15. I can get the 15 for $30 more, so my question is, is it worth it? Both are 180 watts, so does a larger speaker make a difference?

2. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    the 12 just sounds tighter.....go with the one that fits your style of sound

3. The 15 will be a louder woofier. I was content with the 12. You can't beat its portability. The easier it is to carry, the more you will want to play it, the more you will play it.

4. louder woofier? I'm not sure what that means, but it may be a good thing considering that I am looking for a relatively loud amp. I can actually snag the 15 for $330 from AMS because I found a lower price at 8thstreet and they matched it (AMS was asking $350 for it). so could you clarify what louder woofier means please? :confused:

5. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    louder=will make more noise lol higher dB

6. I think he's getting at the fact a single 15 gives you a more boomy bass sound! Me personnaly i'd go with the 15!

7. Would the EB 180 be loud enough for band practise? At the moment I have a Behringer BX12000 which is 120 watt.
    I'm getting a MAG setup (4x10 cab and head) and since the Behringer is awkward to transport i'm considering getting the Ashdown Electirc Blue 180 combo.
    Now, I play with an average-volumed drummer and 2 guitarists. They'll both be coming through 100 watts for some reason at next practise but they'll turn down a bit. Would the EB be able to handle this?
    Sorry if none of that made sense... it's early... :oops:
    Rob

8. Okay i've read that back... it incomprehensible.
    Basically, my MAG set up will be for gigging. But for band practise it would help if I had something easier to transport, i.e The EB180.
    Rob

9. Sorry for the typo. I meant to say louder/woofer.

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I thought the BX1200 was designed to be a portable practice amp?? I don't think that you would be gaining any advantage on the Behringer over the portability issue, but the EB180 would be louder for sure if that's the point you were getting at.

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got the older EB-150 15" and love it. I just wanted the big sound of a 15. To my ears it's less boomy and more focused than Ampeg stuff, but still as warm.

12. Keep in mind that the Blue Line drivers are biased in the midrange area. This is what allows it to cut through on stage. I don't think the 15 is going to be boomy, as British designers usually prefer linear, not boomy bass. The lows are there, they just don't like to over bosst the lower midbass region when designing. You have to do that with the preamp. The preamp on these are conservative as well. I bypassed the E.Q. section a lot, and only used the deep and bright switches on mine.

The fact we can debate subtle details on this entry-level amp speaks volumes in favor of it, IMO. I would still go for the Bristish made (EB 150) ones.

13. ibanezman200

ibanezman200

Jan 3, 2005
    birmingham
    hey i hav 2 say that the ashdown mag 300 head is good qualitly for the price and the mag deep blue 410 cab, they provide me with the sound i need for gigs everytime :bassist:

14. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I definitely agree with this statement. I loved the sound at bedroom volume, but when I first heard it on stage, alone during a soundcheck I thought "what the hell!" For a while I boosted the bass and cut the mids, but later came to realize that it sounds great in the mix left flat.

15. yes rob it is very good indeed.

16. Do they still make these British ones? I can only find B-stock, nothing actually new and in new condition.

17. I don't mind B stock. Did you check ZZ sounds? I know a store that may have an EB 112 150 left. PM if you wnat me to send you the numer and name.

18. I ended up ordering the 180 15. Can't wait to try it out! :bassist:

19. Great amp for the coin. What kind of bass do you play?

20. Squier p-bass. its cheap but it gets the job done.