Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Electric Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velkov, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I've been using a Yorkville BM100 combo for a year and a bit and really want to get something better. I don't want a real rig as I don't want to cary it around and I don't really need it either. I have my eye on the electric blue 12" combo. I tried it at a store and thought it sounded awsome.

The problem is, I can't tell how loud it is at the store, because I'm not playing with a crazy drummer and a loud guitar. And I definitely want something louder than my Yorkville. The Yorkville is rated 100W although they say its burst power is 115W. So, I guess the 100W is not RMS. It's Yorkville's marketing strategy. The electric blue I tried was rated 130W RMS, 260W peak. So, although I haven't had the opportunity to compare them right there, I think the ashdown should be a lot louder.

So, now I'm thinking of selling my Yorkville, and a bunch of pedals and getting the electric blue. The other problem is that Ashdown's new version of the electric blue combos is 150W RMS, 300W peak, and it has a sub-harmonizer. I don't know if I would be using the sub-harmonizer a lot so I'm more attracted to the extra power. Is there a big difference between 150W RMS and 130W RMS. Would it be worth it to order the 150W one and spend $50 more or should I just get the one at the store?

And how much louder than my Yorkville will I get with either one of the electric blue combos?

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I haven't tried those Ashdown combos, and my only experience with the Yorkville was in a store at low volume, but I can tell you that through the same speaker there would be no audible difference between 130 and 150 watts. Remember, to get twice as loud via wattage you need to multiply your wattage by TEN, assuming the speaker can even handle it. For example 150 watts would be only twice as loud as 15 watts, and only slightly louder than 75 watts.
    Sound quality and overall perceived volume, which comes mainly from the quality of the speaker/amp, is what to look for in combo amps like those.

3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    So, you're saying if I like the sound of the electric blue that I tried, I should get it and not bother with the 20W more that I would get with the updated version.

Anybody have any thoughts on how loud the Electric Blue 12" is compared to a Yorkville BM100.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Pretty much. I'm thinking the real difference is the subharmonizer, depends on if you think you'd use that or not.

5. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Well, what is the sub-harmonizer anyway? Isn't just an octave effect.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, it's just an octave effect.

7. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi Velkov
    If you are thinking of getting an Ashdown EL 130 I would go for the 15" if you can. I feel it would handle the the lower end better.
    I bought an EL 130/15 to fill a gap when I was looking for a new amp set-up and was so pleased with it I ordered an ABM C115/500 combo without even trying it.
    I use the EL130/15 mainly for rehearsals and small gigs and it's so easy to transport around.
    There's no way it comes up to the ABM combo but you wouldn't expect it to. But it is still a good little amp. As for the Sub Harmoniser on the EL150 - well I don't use mine much on the ABM. I think you could live without it.
    To get a load of info on this subject, go to the top of the page, click on FEEDBACK and then enter ASHDOWN ELECTRIC BLUE in the search box and click on SEARCH. When the list of threads comes up, click on "Ashdown - Marvellous" for starters and have a read of our previous comments. Go to all the others as well.

8. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    SORRY
    For FEEDBACK read KEYWORD

9. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    And make sure that SEARCH FORUM is set for "AMPS"

10. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I really like the 12" because it is smaller and lighter. And I really like the sound of the 12" speaker. I found there was enough low end even without the deep switch on. So, I really wouldn't go for the 15" unless you think it's significantly louder.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The Ashdown Electric Blue 130 is a great amp. I bought the 130 watt model (with 15") speaker 'cos I figured that I could get a better deal as they'd stopped making them - the new model is out!!!

The extra 20 watts didn't seem worth it to me, and the sub-harmonizer isn't something I was likely to use.

The amp is loud enough - we practice with a drummer and the guitarist uses a Marshall VS100 combo! The limiting factor in our practice room is the PA now!!! For practice I reckon the Ashdown 130 is OK, for small gigs too, bigger gigs you'd DI it to the PA (through it's DI on the front panel - which is cool). For my bigger gigs, I'd use the Trace rig.

The main reason I got the Ashdown was for it's portability and sound - it sounded great with everything set flat! It's very light for an amp that is so loud.

If you prefer the 12" go for it, I wanted the 15" 'cos I use a 5 string and the low B sounded better to me. Neither will be significantly louder - they're both fine!

12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I'd been using a (borrowed) electric blue 130 12".
    I was so Impressed with it I bought one (but with the 15").
    I can honestly say I think the 15 IS louder than the 12. - Maybe the speaker and cab is a little more "Efficient"?
    See my thread - "Ashdown - Marvellous"

:)

13. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I just received my Electric Blue 150-15. Amp looks great and sounds good at low volumes but haven't had a chance to turn it up yet. What's disturbing me is that there noticeable hum even without a bass plugged in and with the input/output controls turned off. The main reason I bought the amp was for home studio use and the hum level makes it unusable. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if this is a defect or just part of what you get with a cheaper amp and power supply.

Thanks

14. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Actually, I heard aobut that. Apparently you need a better power cord and that fixes the noise problem.

15. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Any idea what would be better (thcker wire, better quality, etc) or where to find it?

16. I own a Asdown ABM 500 RC and a Ampeg Svt410HLF cab. but the cab can't handle sub- harmoniser mode, will the ext. sub of ashdown handle one octave lower than B??

No cab can handle this I think, correct me if I'm wrong.
    And how would a 12" combo speaker from ashdown handle this????

17. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The sub-harmonizer is something I would use only when I go and play high up and still want the bottom end. In which case a stomp box makes more sense than turning back to your amp to turn the thing on and off. So, I still don't understand why they built an octave effect into an amp. Unless of course it is foot-switchable. But the electric blue doesn't have a foot-switch jack.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hum isn't normal with, in fact it's the amp that doesn't pick up the radio in my house - my Trace rig does!!! However, I took my first EB 130 - 15 back as it was distorting better than an HM-2 pedal after about 30 mins play!!!! The second one I have now used and kept for about 3 months and it's great!

19. I had problems with my MAG MON12-200 humming like a good 'un when I first got it. The problem with mine was that the transformer coil (? - big blue donut thingy) in the amp wasn't "tuned". This meant that it picked up electrical hum from the mains input. I took the amp back to Ashdown themselves and it took all of 15 minutes for the tech guy to re-tune it (turn the blue thingy round until it stopped humming) and check the rest of the circuitry. Everything else was working fine. My guess is that if the part isn't fully tightened it can move during transit and leave you with a bad buzz. If you take it to a reliable repair shop they ought to be able to help. Don't try fiddling with it yourself, because the tech guy had the amp plugged in, turned on and was tuning the amp while listening to the noise through a separate cab. You don't really want to be playing about inside an amp with the thing plugged in unless you really know what you're doing i.e. which bits to touch and which bits NOT to touch. :eek:

20. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm guessing it's something with the power supply, either the transformer or perhaps one of the power supply caps. Also, since I'm in the US, I'm wondering if they may have miss wired the output transformer. Also, you don't hear the hum when you run from the DI output into a mixer so may be in the output section of amp.