Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Electric Blue

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by erikwhitton, Jun 3, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Just thought i'd post about my new amp for double bass. I paid $300 for a new Ashdown Electric Blue 12" combo (130 watts). I sold my Ampeg Ba-110 (30 watts) because it had been farting out on the ole DB.

The EB is a great amp - I get a very nice sound and plenty of volume. i play a Kay with a Bass Max PU. I also have a K&K pre amp but I have not really found that it improves tone so I go straight from the PU to the amp.

it REALLY SOUNDS GREAT with my fender jazz bass though. I am really surprised how nice that sounds. now i'm bringin my fender eveywhere with me too!

It is a bit heavy for a 12" combo unfortunately.

I had been considering the WM12 and a few other more expensive amps but this was the right price at the right time. I think it sounds warmer than the swr.

the tone is not as natural as other amps i'm sure but i think it's fine. plus that may be a pick up issue (mine does not wedge into my bridge wings - i have to use some cardboard to help it out).

well that's all...take care everyone!
    -erik

2. Yes indeed, ashdown makes great amps. The tone is just perfect for electrics and pretty good for upright, which is significant also because I have been using a fishman. I definately think that its better than the WM-12, SWRs just dont have has round a tone.