1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown EVO II + Bergantino HT322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrendanVlass, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BrendanVlass

BrendanVlass

Mar 9, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The head is '500w RMS (1000w peak)' with '4 ohm min. load' and the cabinet '800w 4ohms'.

After trolling the numerous threads regarding 'under driving' cabinets, I just want to ask if I'll damage either piece of equipment.

So far, it sounds fantastic clean and with my effects. I use Musicman Sterling and an old Peavey Foundation (fretless and it kills!),
    a green Russian Big Muff, EHX MicroSynth (guitar model modified for bass), and an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.

I keep an eye on the VU meter and and ear out for clipping and haven't been experiencing any.

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    in short...with normal usage..."no".
    you can hurt the speaker (meaning ANY speaker) with too much lows at too loud of a volume by overextending it with too much loud low end... but you'll be able to hear a speaker start to fart out. so....you're good.

that should be a kickass sounding setup!

3. BrendanVlass

BrendanVlass

Mar 9, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I will be looking to upgrade my amp in the future. Any suggestions?

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    upgrade from the Ashdown EVO II?
    not much I could recommend. I've gone thru tons of amps and my Ashdown has stayed!! it's an awesome amp. now if you're looking for something different, there's plenty, but id need a better idea of what your tone goals are... otherwise id suggest taking your bass to a store and trying out as many amps as you can.

5. BrendanVlass

BrendanVlass

Mar 9, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My Ashdown is pretty beat up. I have put a few hundred dollars into repairs from irresponsibility and neglect. I like the amp and if I had taken better care of it, I probably would not be looking into something new. Tone wise, I'm seeking versatility. I have a very dynamic Bungle/Zappa-esque project, Muchos Backflips! in which I regularly use a green Russian Big Muff, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, sometimes a EHX MicroSynth and can get quite loud. I also have a jazz gig that alternates electric (with effects on solos) and upright, as well as country/folk/bluegrass pick up gigs. Basically, I need one rig that can handle it all.
    Thanks for your insight!,