Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown EVO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stef74, May 19, 2005.

1. stef74

stef74

May 19, 2005
    Budapest - Hungary
    Hello!

I would like to set up my first stack.
    Ashdown should be nice, can anyone help me which EVO head do you recommend to load an ABM 410T + ABM 115 Ashdown cabinets?
    Anyway, the spec on the website of Ashdown are poor... Can I use the 410 and the 115 with one amp? Is the Evo II 500 enough to load them? Can you help me?

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yes you can use bot with a ABM 500, fits greatly, i'd recommend the rack version or the 5th aniveray version which looks very cool

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd get the EVO-II, I used one for a while. However, I do not like Ashdown cabs. I do not like the sound and I have heard of reliability issues using them. However, Avatar speakers (if you are on a budget) should sound awesome. www.avatarspeakers.com. If you are looking for a higher end cab, look at SWR, Eden, and maybe even Fender. Peavey makes some decent cabs these days as well.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I use an Ashdown ABM500 EVO with a Bergantino HT322 and it BLOWS everybody away. What a stellar Rig! Never played through ashdown cabs. Personally, I need not look further than Bergantino's for my needs.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I had that same setup as a rented rig last fall. Very seductive setup that is ...

6. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have a pair of Epifani 210's I use with my ABM400. Love the sound. Very full and clear but with that Ashdown warmth.

7. stef74

stef74

May 19, 2005
    Budapest - Hungary
    OK, it seems to be good stuff for me. Unfortunstelly I have not seen any photos from the back of the cabs, so I don't know how can I chain this stack. The cabs have an input and an output connectors to link them?

8. I got to play an ABM Evo II (both the 500 and the 300) head yesterday- and I must say I was quiet plesently suprised at how warm it is, not to mention how deep it is. Sounds just as good as an AMPEG in my opinion. The 500 has more head room- and that can be heard, but the 300 is a good choice if your not going to need 500w of juice...

Now the Cabs: I only got to play through a 410, but it sounded clear- had a fair bit of punch. But you could hear that they were being pushed- distroting a little... Certainly no Ampeg cab.

Personally- I would go an ABM 500 Evo II head and two Avatar cabinets, they are great value, and put out well from what I have heard. a 4x10 and 1x15 would be great, with the AMB500 putting out 575w each cabinet would get just under 300w each... and the Ashdown is a loud warm head. If you want some real head room go an ABM 900 :bag:

9. I have recently bought an AMB EVO ii 300 head, a 4x10 and 1x15 Ashdown cabs (AMB) I'm very happy with this amp and cab set up. Previously I had a Marshall stack VBA400 but was pretty unhappy with the sound. Before I this used the Ashdown MAG range, the amp was great but I did have a problem with the 1x15, had to send the speaker back to them and they replaced it immediately.

Cúl-Báire, points out that the 4x10 might have been distorting, might this have been the valve drive setting being turned on and actually giving distortion from the pre amp valve ?

The back of the AMB cabs have a speakon socket and 2 1/4" sockets.

I'm happier now than I have ever been with my set up, hopefully the speakers will be okay, however, if the do give up on me I may try the Bergantino option, I have heard they are incredible.

Stu

10. Thats a great setup you have there by the sounds of it Stu I'd love to have that in my garage/ come noise making room... Maybe one day...

The noise I heard from the 410's was more of a speaker clipping noise, not valve distortion. It was only apparent on really low notes (and probably becasue I was close to the cab)- Which is probably to be expected when using 10" drivers- The Ampeg cab I also used didnt have this problem, although the SVT 3 Pro head I was playing through was much quieter... :rollno:

All up, a very good solid combination that should last a lifetime or two... Check out ebay then tell me how many you spot, a good indication that they are well liked*** :)

-Cul

*** There is bugger all, unless you check out ebay UK, not many people are willing to give these babies up once they have them. :bassist:

11. stef74

stef74

May 19, 2005
    Budapest - Hungary
    So a simple daisy chain should work?

12. Define Daisy Chain?... You may be refering to plugging the second cabinet into the frist via the extension port- If the plugs arent wired the right way this will cause the impedence to be 16Ohm, (8+8= 16), Instead of 4ohm, which means your amp will push out much less power.

Just buy a speak-on or speaker cable with 1 plug wireed at the main end, and two at the cabinet end. If they arent available just make one, it looks quiet simple- and the conectors can be found a Jaycar and such...

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Ashdown ABM500 that I used to own was one of the best amps I've ever had. I love that amp. Wish I still had one. Not a big fan of the cabs however. They're not terrible but for my money I LOVE the combonation of an Ashdown amp and Bergantino speakers. An EVO II 500 with a Berg NV610 for a more "traditional" tone or an HT322 for a bigger, more modern sound. Either setup will get you a tone for a lifetime.