ashdown experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Aug 19, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey, I've been checking out the ashdown ABM C410T-500 EVO II Combo since I saw it reviewed in this month's BP. One day, i'm planning to upgrade from my hartke kickback 120, and the EVO II sounds like it's the sound I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Ashdown or this amp, and based purely on how cool they look: what do trace elliots sound like?

thanks,
    chris

2. I think Ashdown sounds very nice, warm, and round. The only thing I didn't like about the one I played was the treble. It lacked transparency and snap. But then again I have a $500 bass with EMG HZ pickups. I think my bass sounds better through my Mesa.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    what kind of mesa do you have? they sound sick with guitar, i've never played with a mesa bass amp.

4. M-Pulse 360, discontinued about 8 months ago and got it a week ago. 360 watts at 4 ohms. It experienced a $400 price drop at Guitar Center and I got mine for $700 a week ago. I think there are only 4 left in circulation in Guitar Centers around the U.S. that are new. I think it was well worth the $225 to go from Mesa Walkabout to the discontinued M-Pulse 360. It is exactly like the M-Pulse 600 without the extra wattage and the M-Pulse 600 costs around $1200. The route I'm taking with this thing is getting a power amp. The semi-parametric eq is to die for.

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/M-Pulse360/M-Pulse-360.html

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ahhhh i've played around with that at GC. too many tone controls. As ignorant as it sounds, i want to be able to quickly dial in a sound i like (approximately) without too many choices... well some choices, but notlike that. That's why the ashdown intrigued me; the controls are there, but you don't need to use them. Plus, no matter how many times i try to read that sticky about eq (or pay attention in physics class) I can't get into the science behind it...shrug. just lazy.

6. Yeah the semi-parametric was kind of intimidating at first and I actually used to view it the same way you did...untill I spent 2 hours at Guitar Center playing the M-Pulse 600. You can do absolutely ANYthing with it - including making a Warwick fretless sound like a MusicMan.