Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Aug 19, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey, I've been checking out the ashdown ABM C410T-500 EVO II Combo since I saw it reviewed in this month's BP. One day, i'm planning to upgrade from my hartke kickback 120, and the EVO II sounds like it's the sound I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Ashdown or this amp, and based purely on how cool they look: what do trace elliots sound like?

thanks,
    chris

2. I think Ashdown sounds very nice, warm, and round. The only thing I didn't like about the one I played was the treble. It lacked transparency and snap. But then again I have a $500 bass with EMG HZ pickups. I think my bass sounds better through my Mesa.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    what kind of mesa do you have? they sound sick with guitar, i've never played with a mesa bass amp.

4. M-Pulse 360, discontinued about 8 months ago and got it a week ago. 360 watts at 4 ohms. It experienced a $400 price drop at Guitar Center and I got mine for $700 a week ago. I think there are only 4 left in circulation in Guitar Centers around the U.S. that are new. I think it was well worth the $225 to go from Mesa Walkabout to the discontinued M-Pulse 360. It is exactly like the M-Pulse 600 without the extra wattage and the M-Pulse 600 costs around $1200. The route I'm taking with this thing is getting a power amp. The semi-parametric eq is to die for.

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/M-Pulse360/M-Pulse-360.html

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ahhhh i've played around with that at GC. too many tone controls. As ignorant as it sounds, i want to be able to quickly dial in a sound i like (approximately) without too many choices... well some choices, but notlike that. That's why the ashdown intrigued me; the controls are there, but you don't need to use them. Plus, no matter how many times i try to read that sticky about eq (or pay attention in physics class) I can't get into the science behind it...shrug. just lazy.

6. Yeah the semi-parametric was kind of intimidating at first and I actually used to view it the same way you did...untill I spent 2 hours at Guitar Center playing the M-Pulse 600. You can do absolutely ANYthing with it - including making a Warwick fretless sound like a MusicMan.