Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown extension speaker?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by fender58, May 6, 2002.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    This question may belong in another forum but I wanted to ask a pro and one that uses Ashdown. I have a Ashdown ABMC210-500 and would like to at times run a extension speaker. I have a old Fender 2x15 cabnit thats 4 ohms.(2 eight ohm spks in parallel) I think this is OK to run with the Ashdown which says "min impedence 4 ohms" but would it be safer to re-wire the two 15's in series to get 16 ohms? I belive the Ashdown is two 8" 16 ohm speakers in parallel giving 8 ohms. Then I would have less than 8 ohms but more than 4, I THINK. Anyways I think you get the idea and THANKS for any thoughts you have on this. Is there anyone else to ask? Thanks again, Danny

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It's probably best to clarify this advice by emailing Mark Gooday on info@ashdownmusic.co.uk but I think so long as you're not running the volume 'too' high, you should get away with it... there's a thermal cut out on the Ashdown heads, so if it did get hot, it would just switch off anyway... email Mark first, but I'd say give it a go... :oops:)

...of course, alternatively you could just sell it and but a smaller cabinet - what do you want with a 2x15 anyway?????? :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks much Steve. I kind of figured that it would be OK. I was not to sure how the Ashdown amp would "see" the ext. spkr. Mark Gooday did write back and said that it would be 3 ohms to the amp. with a 8 and a 4, the 4 being the internal. (2.66 ohms actually)

You are right, I don't need 2x15's I was thinking I could cut the cabinet in half and have a 1x15 for a little extra ummffff.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    sounds like a good idea, though cutting cabs in half can be problematic with cabinet tuning and port sizes and stuff... might be more cost effective to sell it and get something that's been properly made... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk