Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Five Fifteen combo - fried in 2 days!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmoove, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Despite reading some TalkBass warnings on how easily these overheat and fry their fuses, I bought one the other day to upgrade from my little Peavey Microbass practice amp.

Took it along to a jam with some friends, and sure enough after two hours of solid playing the amp suddenly dies. The panel is super-warm, and when removed reveals two of the internal fuses have cooked. Basically there's no fan, and no way for heat to escape in these things.

Despite that, they're a great sounding 100W combo - I can get the repairs done under warranty (apparently there's a manufacturer fix for this problem) but I was wondering if anyone would recommend taking it back to the shop and getting a refund, maybe chasing another similarly-specced/priced combo. thoughts?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What kind of volume? If you were cranking it for two hours straight, its no wonder it fried. I don't believe these little practice combos were made to keep up with a drummer and guitar stacks.

3. I thought they were only 60w? Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking at combos and this one looked interesting until I read this!

4. the version I have is 100W, and it was just a living room jam with a drummer and a guitar amp of about the same size, so not too much strain. Input/Output volumes were both set around 2 o'clock, which I would've thought to be safe.

Great tone, but there's just no ventilation in these things, it's solid wood and carpet all around the electronics

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Return it. If you just get it repaired then chances are that it will do the same thing again. Obviously it isn't up to doing what you need it to.

PS: the name of that combo is very misleading, makes me think of 5 15" speakers in the same enclosure.

6. ahh sorry to hear things turned out that way.

the combo costs $300 right? just save up an extra $20 from it and buy an electric blue combo

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You can buy a 120v fan for $5. Drill some holes and add some forced-air cooling.

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had one a couple of years ago. I Loved the tone - while it was living. It, too, fried fuses and then went to amp heaven.
    Only lasted a few months.

I didn't run it to the max - I probably peaked it at about 60%.
    If it couldn't stand that for a couple of hours of rehearsal, they shouldn't make it.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I think there's a significant difference between the $300 amps and the $450 amps. If you can stand getting up to that price point, you have a Much greater chance of choosing a combo that can put out and last.

10. hahahah... i took the amp back to the store and the guy said he'd bring out a replacement for me. plugged it in at the shop and it wouldn't go either- apparently the same problem.

so i got a refund and gonna save a few bucks more and get a Gallien Krueger Microbass

i wouldnt really count this as a bad experience with Ashdown, as all their English-made stuff is great. the 5-15 is made in China, with obviously cheap parts

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good move, but don't throw good money after bad.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The GK Microbass is a nice sounding amp to my ears, but it won't sound significantly louder than the fried Ashdown. It's not designed for that. Try the Yorkville Sound XM100C. It won't die on you. They're a very tough amp.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Sorry, I just noticed you're in New Zealand. I don't know if Yorkville is readily available there.

14. CPL

CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I understand they also have an excellent warranty. Personally, I would try to avoid any amp made in China. Quality is usually low for electronics there. You may get lucky, though. You usually get what you pay for.

15. Sadly, in this case it sounds like it was not a manufacturing quality problem but a design engineering problem. Doesn't matter where they assemble it, if the amp has an insufficient thermal design and no protection circuit to shut it down before it smokes, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Peace,
    S

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yup - and it's too bad, because it really is a nice sounding little amp. I loved that baby - Until the meltdown. :)

17. Yeah, the Ashdown combo's aren't really much to get excited about.

Their UK stuff is flawless IMHO

18. Peter Squire,

Does that include the UK Mag 200s and 400s? Those have caught my eye at times.

S

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Behringer was trying to improve on Ashdown and all Ash could do was sue.

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    My carvin pb200-15 has been going strong for 7 + years. And it doesn't need an aftermarket fan...