Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown five fifteen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dangjalopy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    has anyone used one of these? i need a good apartment practice amp . i would like to stay withe ashdown and only need a few watts for practice. i will probably use headphones anyway. thanks for the replies.

Travis

2. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
  3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    First, if you are getting something just for practice in your apartment, and mainly with headphones, get something a little smaller...

I've got an Ampeg BA112, 50 watts, that I have been very pleased with... Great practice amp and enough power and tone for smaller acoustic gigs...

Of course, I got it new for only $219 on clearance... o that might also have something to do with my bias!

4. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    yea, i was going for the eight or ten but if im going to buy an amp i might as well get my money's worth. seems to me the smaller the speaker the worse the sound gets. and ampeg is crap for the money if you ask me. i used an ampeg for 10 yrs too long. id rather buy the ashdown personally.

5. Absolutely NO, NO, NO

I use an Ashdown ABM 400 210T as my main stage amp, and as I am very happy with it, I got me an Ashdown practise amp - bad move.

They are ****E!!! It was only after I had it for a couple of weeks that I saw the (very) small print which said it was a licensed product - (ie: sold their name to a crap manufacturer).

Its a big mistake that Ashdown have done this - their name normally symbolises top quality. Please, everyone, do not buy the practise amp Ashdown range - they are ****e.

6. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    Just the 100 W and under range, right? at least i hope. I may just settle for the electric blue 180W. thanks for the heads up.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I've got the Ashdown After Eight and I'm quite enthusiastic about it. I don't need all the sophisticated shebang for the small combo and it suits a small room well. I can just easily play along with my stereo and get a good usuable tone. It's quite amazing that one gets a nice tone out of it with respect to the price for it is in the < 150 euro range. (Well.. it cost me 130 euro) When the gainsetting is right, you hear the low-B too... and it doesn't drown in the strong emphasis of the bass.

Perhaps some people compare it to high-end stuff and say with respect to them that such a combo sucks, but I don't agree. It's simple, has got basic features and a nice tone. Who wants more at home?

Can't think of the Fifteen which wouldn't please you actually.

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    hm, i played (and heard several other bands play) through a 5-15 and i wasn't very pleased.

the sound had no definition, it seemed that the mids were seriously lacking. the low-end was warm, but the high end seemed very reserved. all in all not very convincing. it did swallow the sound of my bass totally and what came out wasn't very pleasant.

i also a/b'ed it with a (out-of-production?) warwick cube and the warwick was much better.

9. the 100+ W ashdown gear is amazing - my favourite amps i have ever owned.

the low end gear is really poor.