1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown head as a power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by psi, Jun 27, 2007.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Amp question here. I'm eyeing up an old Traynor TS-50b but I know 50 W won't be loud enough. Is there a way I could just boost the signal of the Traynor with my Ashdown MAG300?

I was thinking I could just run the line out of the Traynor into the effects return of the Ashdown. Would that work okay or would I be damaging something?

Thanks

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Yes, you can do that. Then you'd be using the Traynor as a preamp with the power section of the Ashdown.

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Alright cool. Do you think I'd lose any tone from Traynor this way? Is it possible the power section of the Traynor lends to its sound or is this improbable?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive done this with a demeter pre and my old ashdown head. It works okay.

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Most of your tone comes out of the preamp (input combined with front-end settings plus whatever you insert). The output amp just makes it louder (ideally). The next real variable in the chain is the speaker/cab. If I'm wrong, I'm certain I'll be corrected. Either way, you'll have your answer.

6. I'm playing guitar in a punk band right now, and to get the extra volume I needed, I'm running my Fender M-80 head's effect send into the active front end of my Ashdown ABM 500...it sounds amazing, and really gets both warm sounds and classic Fender sparkle. It can be done, just make sure you're not pushing the input on the power amp too hard.

7. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    So I have the Traynor's line out running into the Ashdown's effects return. The signal is hot -- too hot I think. Anything past 1 (out of 10) on the Traynor's GAIN knob peaks my compressor just by barely touching the strings. I can keep GAIN at 0.5, but then I'm losing the grit I wanted in the first place.

Any tips?

Thanks!

8. Try running it into the input instead of the effects loop...your line out is a bit hotter than an effect send, I believe, and the input jack should be better equipped to handle it than the post preamp effects return. If you have an active/passive option, the reduction in level gained there would be useful as well. (I forget if the MAG series has them, the ABM does, I'm sure)

9. hogrot

hogrot

Mar 29, 2007
    deja vu

i just picked up a ts-50b the other day, i've got a gk800rb, so is it agreed that the instrument input is the best option? -10db if I want to crank the gain??

i actually have to wait and check, but i don't think the gk has a line in. and I'm scared to death of frying it (again) since I just spent about $175 fixing it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021