Ashdown Head DEAD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luke-m, Jun 22, 2005.

1. luke-m

Mar 9, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi. I just received a Ashdown Mag 300 head I ordered online from I plugged it in to my SWR cab and fliped it on. I had the input and output knobs turned all the way down. Upon powering it on there was a loud hum/wine sound followed by a couple popping sounds and then silence. Any idea what might have happened? Output transformer fried? This amp was suppose to replace my old head that just died and I need it for a show friday. If it is an easy fix I would keep it and fix it so I could use it friday. If not I guess I'll have to order something and have them overnight it. Thanks.
  2. rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    I had the same problem. AMS shipped me out a new one and it has been great so far. I use mine as a pre to run a QSC1850HD power amp so I don't use the power section anyway but I still expect new gear to work.
  3. I have a MAG 300 that just hums at a low level until I mess with the master level knob. If I touch it lightly it will hum loudly. It was dropped by UPS so there was some trauma to the unit although cosmetically the only thing that happened was a knob broke off. I'm hoping it's an easy fix. Unfortunately I'd have to go through Ashdown to see if they would cover it under warranty. The place I got it from was going out of business.
  4. Don't forget.... the Ashdown Mags are made in China now... need I say more?
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Lots of things are made in China, y'know.
    Anyway, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes...

My guess would be a bad solder.
    Can you have them replace it? I think that's the best to do.

Happens with these "cost-effective soldering methods".
    My Dad once resoldered my old GK BL amp, and the result? No more scratchy pots, worked better and much less hum. My advice would be to take it to a tech and have all weak soldering points resoldered - or have someone, who is good with these skills (like my Dad is an electro-engineer) do this for you - but this will void your warranty if you still have one.