Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Head with SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Hiya,

Have been lurking for a couple of months but didn't really have anything to contribute/ask until now so here goes...

New Bass Rig required.....Playing rock/blues type stuff in Medium sized clubs mostly and thanks to our Aussie dollar being so weak, everything here costs a fortune. So I've managed to scrape together about $5K and have been trying out rigs for the past few weeks...Here's what I've come up with..

Ashdown EVO 500 head (575w@4 you guys all know the specs ) $2699
    SWR Workingmans 2x10 $1395
    SWR Workingmans 1x15 $1395

Thats about 5.5 list price but I reakon I can get it for about $4.5 cash

This gives me a fairly portable & grunty rig ( need to use the small car sometimes & these will still fit )

A bit concerned that the cabs are only 200 watts each but with common-sense I can't see myself blowing them up too quickly...

Can't get Aguilar/Bagend/Epiphani or any of those other brand of cabs that you guys always suggest.

The above rig sounds excellent/Looks cool & will be portable, I can also take only 1 cab to small shows.

Or should I go for higher powered cabs???

Thanks.

2. Ummm...ur prices seem way way way off to me...with 5k US dolalrs if that what u mean. WIth 5 k...um...you could get like 2 SWR high end cabs maybe even megoliths and some kick ass head on top...may wanna recheck ur prices...and if ya go used u can get even more! or save more.

-Vince

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Thats Australian Dollars....

Sorry if I wasn't clear enuf......

Our buck is shot all to poop thanks to the gubment.

Peace!

4. Is the Australian Dollar that much lower then US? That does seem like alot for the gear you described.

I have those same SWR cabs. 200 watts is rms, with 400 being the max. They're decent cabs, ok for small to medium gigs. I put 300 watts into each cab, haven't had any problems yet.

I recommend the Goliath Jr. and S.O.B. over these. Much better quality and only $200 (US) more for each cab. I am upgrading to these. You might even be able to find the goliath jr. and sob used for less money then the new workingman's cabs.

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    With that head I will take at least goliath III 4x10" cab. I know it's not so portable, but has 700W and it's their pro line. I played through workingman 4x10" and it didn't impress me much.

6. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Thanks for the quick replies guys....

It's sad but true...With the dollar at about 66c US and our wonderfull import duties and taxes we're screwed as far as imported gear goes...

The used market is quite small too...I do a search for "Bass" on ebay in OZ and am lucky to fill 2 pages with the results...

That $200 US difference in cab prices would probably equate to closer to $800 or so by the time itlands here but I will check out the higher end cabs and see how I go...

Anyone know if Ashdown makes 2x10 and 1x15 boxes...I was only trying out what was in stock at 1 of 2 music shops here in the capital city of our great country!!!

Off to the web to do some more searching I think..

Thanks again.

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    OK, here's the skinny

I could go the higher end SWR stuff for an extra 100 per cab or for the same money ( the $100 extra )I could get the equivilent in the high end (ABM Series) Ashdown cabs. That's 700 watts capacity v's 400 & them pretty Blue speakers too....Would be a great looking rig.

Or just get an Ashdown/SWR 4x10 and save about a grand over the 2 cab option but I really like the 2x10/1x15 option for portability/splittability

Decicions Decisions.......

8. I highly recommend the higher end SWR over the Workingman's..especially for 100 more per cab.

I have no experience with Ashdown, but I've heard good things about them. Can you try all this gear before you buy it?

9. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Yes, shouldn't be a problem...They have the goliath Jnr & the SOB in stock & won't take them long to get the Ashdown cabs in when I get the go ahead on the cash ( early next week yipeeee )..They have a couple of Ashdown 4x10's there as well so should be a fun coupla days..

Got a big gig next friday night so hopefully will be able to take it out & thrash it pretty early on in the peice all going well....