Ashdown, how good is the tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoti89, Mar 2, 2006.

1. skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Im looking to buy An Ashdown Mag series combo, or stack. I've never heard them, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice( like what I did with my Crate). I basically want a good rock tone out of my jazz bass. I got a jazz bass for a reason, all my favorite bands have them, and they sound great. Now I hope you all know what I am saying by a "rock tone". I guess it could be compared to Ampeg or Eden. Deep, bright and punchy. Even if my bass strings aren't new(actually dead), I want them to still have a nice bright tone coming out of the amp(like my chuches BXR300). I played through an Ampeg, and it sounded amazing, brought out a bright and deep tone, then i play through my crate, and my friends GK, and they put a out dull thud. I hope this makes sense.

Another question, for the combos, do they have 300 watts internal 4 ohm power, or is that with an ext cab you get 300 watts? and also, if was 300 watts at 4 ohms for the head, does that mean it puts out 175 through each cab, or what? I dont know much about amps, so any help is appreciated.

Any good combinations you guys have/know about? Like a combo, then add an extra cab, or a head and 210? I want to be set on my first decision, the if I need the extra power, just add another cab. so to so get the 410, and add a 15 if I need the power?

2. fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    i got my mag250 and 410 for 550...good tone
  3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Eyes popping out of your skull good.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you like bright tone look into the GK 1001RB-II. Can be delivered to your door for $600 and its a great amp. The eq is powerful so its easy to dial in lots of sounds.
  5. The ABM's are better, but the MAG's are still awesome sounding amps.
  6. charlemagne

Nov 5, 2003
    I've played through an ABM 300 with a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab for three years now. It's the best marriage of tone and price I've ever found. I don't go for a lot of high end if that's what you're looking for but there's enough headroom to dial up pretty much anything you want.

Plus the VU meter looks cool.:D
  7. MAG isn't the best Ashdown stuff, but still sounds good, certainly better than some ampeg but not in the sam,e league as eden - though the ABM is. I'd take MAG over SWR, GK, and anything fender's made in 30 years (excepting the Bassman 300).
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  9. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ashdown amps are fantastic sounding but the MAG's sound quite a bit different to the ABM's IMHO
    I really want to like my ABM over my MAG but its not happened yet. It will though.
    I would say the ABM has a more punchy, deep full tone where as the MAG sounds to me to be more woody, and more old school.
    I dont use the Tube pre on the ABM much but i did a swinging 60's night last week and had the tube on about half and it did sound "old"
  10. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    Havent posted on here in ages!!

My last amps have been:

MAG250 Head+MAG410 cab,
    MAG300 head+MAG410Deep Cab
    ABM500RC EvoII Head and ABM410T Cab (current)

and I loved them all as far as sound goes.

The Mags do sound different to the ABMs, but its not a bad different. I think Dave_bass hit the nail on the head, and I would agree - in my experience, mags tend to sound a bit thinner (but not weaker), and an ABM is the full fat, bone shaking (and heavier) version of them, with added tone control, valve preamp etc etc...

If I didnt have my ABM, I'd glady use a Mag again, especially now the Mag600 is out.

11. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  12. I have a MAG 300 and love it's tone, and when I want something a bit different I just turn on my SansAmp BassDriver which gives me an entire new world of different tones I can goof around with.
  13. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The ABM series is right up there with the best. The MAG series is a great value. Everybody loves my Ashdown gear.
  14. burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Love Ashdown. Was always a Trace Elliot guy, but when they got bought out and things went down the crapper I learned that the original Trace guys had started Ashdown, and I was hooked.

I have the little 320w ABM w/ 10" speaker. It is pretty small and light, and will (believe it or not 'cause it's only one 10" speaker) fill a decent sized room by itself. If I need more, I run it through an old (english) Trace 4x10 I hung on to.

I like my little thing cause it's so easy to carry around to the studio, or to a large room with a big system, and if great for quiet practice in my study cause it's so small, but if you need your own cabs for a larger gig where a house system is not available it has the guts to drive just about anything...
  15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well then, fer cryin' out loud, change your strings once in awhile! What is it? Like, 20 bucks for a new set?

16. skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    huhm, even if my strings are brand new, my amp doesnt pick up any brightness or good tone you tool.

now when I play through a fender or ampeg and such, even with my 3 yr old bass and strings, it has a good bright tone
  17. I would definitely say the Ashdown Mag 300 has good tone. Then again, what is good tone to me may not sound that good to you. Playing around with the settings helps to coax a different sound out of it.
    I recently got my Mag 300R, a Avatar B210 Neo, and a 6 space Gator rack all for around $750. I could have got it cheaper, but I wanted a rack mounted rig. The non rack mounted Mag 300 costs about the same.
  18. Does anyone know if the Mag 300 has a 4 ohm minimum load or a 2 ohm minimum load?

19. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The MAG (and i think all Ashdown heads) are 4ohms minimum
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'll vouch for that, especially for the ridiculously cheap prices i've seen them go for.

again, the BEST low end bass gear you can buy.

and while their cabs are punch you in the gut good, i'd rather take that money and put it towards an Avatar "Neo" cab which is about the same price, yet waaaaaaaaay lighter for your back.