Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown is still farting out. Whats going on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    My Ashdown 2-10 500 combo is still farting out on the low E.

The only remedy seems to keep my bass' (Yammy BBG5S) onboard eq set a little over half. With the active's lows boosted all the way (amp set flat) it farts out at half of the volume level.

Is this normal??

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Is it "normal" is a tough call. I don't have that amp and bass to try and see. Ashdown seems to have a pretty good reputation.

Is it surprising? Not really. Most combo's are designed to get loud, and not low, and you are asking it to do a LOT of low by boosting EQ as you are. You may also be getting some distortion from your active preamp at that point (good time to check a battery).

I think if you are planning to routinely run your rig with those EQ settings you might want to test new gear with that EQ; it may be hard to get what you want.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

This may be a silly question.....but have you changed the battery on your bass recently (you mentioned it was active). I'm just wondering if this is contributing to the 'farting' you are experiencing.......

4. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Doesn't sound silly to me. I'll buy one today on my way back from class.

Im probably going to back off the eq anyway. I guess if i want more lows, i should get an extension 15 cab.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The EQ on your bass can probably boost 10-15 dB. Every 3 dB boost means you need double the watage to reproduce the signal cleanly. Full 15 db boost needs 32 times the wattage!!

If you are playing at volumes where the amp is working hard you could easily be clipping the amp and/or overdriving the speaker.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    In my experience, farting noises are most often speaker, not amp, related. You are probably exceeding the limits of the cone travel -- for whatever reason.

But that's just a guess.

Keep in mind that increasing your "tone" (whatever freq. you are boosting) by only 3 db effectively doubles the power to that frequency. A lot of tone controls can boost 10 db or more! So you may be pushing out a lot more power than you think -- especially in the lows where the fart phenomenon occurs.

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    10-15 db! Ok, well that says it all.

Im used to passive basses where you just throw the tone knob all the way up. Plus, i was used to the low uumph of my old 'p' bass with the peavey 15. Now that you guys told me that, doing a search here revealed quite a few threads on active/passive differences on 'tone' knob settings.
    Thanks for clearing that mystery up.