Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Labs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Has anyone tried any of the new Ashdown Labs gear, in particular the new amps, the MK500 and AL-D500 ??

Tony

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    id really like to get that preamp. the al-d600? is it. its exactly like the amp but just a preamp. that stuff looks good but i havent had the chance to try it. i dont think a lot of the AL gear is in america yet, seeing as tha tmost of it is brand new.

3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    A friend who owns a music store here in VA still has an MK-500. I've played it and liked it. It's pretty good on the size and weight and has a TON of headroom. The Harmonic Emphasis was not very noticable but the graphic eq was both precise and had great sensitivity. It was a little lacking on the lows for me but still sounded very nice.

They are definately worth checking into.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

i hear that alot about their abm pre amp and all the ashdown labs stuff...the lack of low end. is it a huge lack or just smide. cause the abm line is all about soem low end.

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I don't have experience with all Ashdowns. I did try an Ashdown 2x10 ABM combo in the store which was next to an SWR Redhead. I was actually quite shocked, the Redhead sounded ALOT better !! And I'm a big Ashdown fan !!

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that is shocking. but i guess its all in the ear. hmm, off to the store to do some research.