1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown LB30 LittleBastard - cab suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MandalaStudio, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MandalaStudio

MandalaStudio

Nov 20, 2015
    Hi guys,

As some of you may remember, I was looking for a vintage sounding tube head for studio use. In the end I opted for an Ashdown LB30, which sounds great and is new, so it should cause less problems than a vintage unit. Plus it has a nice D.I., which is good for me.

Now I'm looking for a cab to pair it with. I found three alternatives near me, all quite cheap and probably good:

- its own Ashdown VS115
    - a Hartke 1x15XL
    - a SWR Big Foot 2x12

Basically I'm looking for a cab which could go quite deep and not sounding too modern (better dark than bright). They all cost roughly the same..

Thanks again :)

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I don't have any experience with any of those cabs, but I do have the Little Bastard Head.

I have run mine through a Avatar 212 Neo, Tech 21 410, and a GB Uber 410. It sounds best through the Tech 21 410 with the ceramic speakers. I have read that the LB-30 pairs up best with the most efficient cab, which in my case is the GB Uber 410, but I think it sounds better with the ceramics. Now my SB300 is a different story. I know it sounds cliché but you should take the head and try it out with the cabs you mentioned and see which one you like best. YMMV

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I pair mine with a Euphonic Audio VL-210. It will get stupid loud. And the dials on back that control the mid and tweet drivers allow you to dial in how dark or bright it will sound.

I think either way you will really enjoy that head for the studio. But with that EA cab, mine has earned a surprising spot in my live rig rotation.

4. The VS115 is a nice cab if you like dark sounding and it really looks great with the LB30 on top. For me, I like the fact that the LB30 delivers a lot of high and prefer a cab with tweeter so I gave the VS115 to a friend.

5. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I'm digging the tone with my LB30 through my Ampeg pf-115 and pf-210 cabs. Plus it looks great on top of the vintage looks of those PF cab's

6. MandalaStudio

MandalaStudio

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks, looks like the Ashdown 115 should be the best solution

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    if you're in england and you are strong you might want to check out the orange obc115 too

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I use a Markbass NY 115 and it pairs beautifully with the Little Bastard.

9. MandalaStudio

MandalaStudio

Nov 20, 2015
    Actually I'm in Italy.. But thanks for all the suggestions guys!