1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Little Bastard Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustinfennessey, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Hey all,
    So I own an Ashdown Little Bastard and it rules. I just have a quick question as my tube knowledge is slim to none. What I would love to do is switch out the stock tubes with something more gritty/distorted.

Do they even make tubes that have that kind of character? Any advice would rule :)

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. I see your old post here...

Yes, they make tubes that have more crunch, or a lower threshold for break up. Someone with more tube knowledge than I would have to tell you which is best for your wants. Maybe a 12AX7?

3. What arr the original tubes? Which in which position?

4. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    The Spyder heads share the same preamp section as the Little Bastard and on paper have a 12AX7 by the input jacks and a 12AU7 by the VU output meter.

However, having spoken to several Spyder 550 owners their heads have been coming out of the Chinese factory with varying tubes so I couldn't say what you have in your Little Bastard.

For example, mine came with a pair of Shuguang 12AX7Bs ("Silver Dragons") while another player I know found a Sovtek 12AX7 and a 12AU7. Another guy found a pair of JJ 12AX7s.

I changed mine out for a NOS Telefunken 12AX7 and an EHX 12AU7.

If you look online for 12AX7 reviews you should be able to find a set of tubes to your liking. If you're looking for more breakup you could try a pair of EHX 12AX7s (although I'm sure someone will come along with a better suggestion.)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Throw a weak 12ax7 into v1. Works like a charm. Won't last a long time, but it works and how much is a 12ax7?

6. firemedic925

firemedic925

Mar 6, 2012
    If one of your tubes is a 12AU7, replace it with a 12AX7 which has 5x the gain. That should shake it up some. If they are already all 12AX7s then there's not much you can do short of modding the circuitry.
    Different tube manufacturers like to claim big differences that are really psychological in nature.