1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Little Bastard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, May 13, 2011.

1. Howdy

just joined and I have a question. forgive me if it's been asked before.

does anybody have any experience with Ashdown amps in general and with their LITTLE BASTARD in particular?

they are kind of pricey but my son played one in the shop the other day and the sound was unbelievable (good!)

any quality or reliability issues?

what do you do to make tube amps (and amp tubes) last longer?

any thoughts appreciated.

/s/ Dave

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    To make tube amps and the tubes last longer Keep the amp properly Biased and they should last a long time. Also when turning the amp on let it warm up in standby for a minute or two before taking it out of standby. This will let the filaments in the tubes warm up before hitting them with the high voltage.

3. Night Train--

well, that's a problem with the little bastard, because while it has a mute switch, it does not have a standby switch

/s/ Dave

4. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have a little bastard. Cool amp. Sounds pretty good, and you can dial in a lot of different tones with it. Haven't had it all that long, but no problems so far. Have used it quite a bit for practice, and also for gigs. Not a ton of clean headroom on these guys (only 30 watts), but it sound great at low volume, and get a really nice nasty tube tone when you crank it.

You will find a million different threads on here about if tubes break down and require more maintenance,,, you will also find about a million different opinions. The harder you drive the amp, the more it wears the tubes. With a new (and small) amp like the LB, replacing the tubes would not be a big deal, and not cost much. Pre-amp tubes can last forever,,, I have an amp over 40 years old with original pre-amp tubes. Power amp tubes will need to get replaced eventually, but like I said, it's a small amp, and would not be that big of a deal.

I am actually considering selling my Little Bastard since I also have a portaflex - also a 30 watt tube amp. Send me a PM if you are interested, and we can discuss.

l.

5. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'm pretty sure the "mute" switch is just a stand by switch that says mute instead of standby.