Ashdown MAG-115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fruity, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    So I'm thinking of buying the ashdown MAG-115 300W combo, I play a FenderJazz and it seems like a good option. I don't know much about amps though, and I was wondering if this is a good option. Thanks.
  2. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have looked at this combo on the internet and i too would be interested in some feedback on this amp.
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I have played this amp a few times in my local music store...I sounds REALLY great, deep and phat, I preferred it to the Ashdown 410 combo...But to me it wasn't that loud, otherwise I might have bought it!
  5. I have an older UK Mag 200 115 combo. I like it enough that at one point I was close to buying a second one to run in stereo for bigger gigs. For most of what I do, it is great. The tone is deep, warm and round and it fills the rooms well. I generally play blues, r&b, 50s & 60s rock, country and western swing for 100 to 150 older audience. So we aren't real loud by young standards. If I need to be louder, there is usually a good house PA system and a good sound man running it.

I recently played an Aggie AG500 through a GS 210 & GS410. It was a lot louder and filled the room more easily. So I am starting to think about an ABM 500, AG 500 or an Eden WT 550 through a couple of lighter cabs. Boy I like the tone of the ABM 500! The combo is a one trip item, but then I have to go back for my bass. In terms of convenience, I might as well put a couple smaller cabs & amp on a dolly and carry the bass on my back. But it will be a while before I free up that kind of money. In the mean time, the Mag 200 does 90% of what I need.

I don't know what the cost is in the UK, but I think the Mag series is an excellent choice for someone on a tight budget in the US.
  6. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    bump, sorry.
  7. I play one of those.

This is a very good combo for someone who likes a deep, warm sound. Because it's a 15", it lacks in the highs if you want brightness and clarity (at least to me). I play a Cort B5 through it, and have volume to spare when playing with my band. Has no problem with my low B, even at high volumes. Biggest gig I played: 70 people, and it held it's ground nice. (note: my passive squier wasn't that loud, so you'd have to see for yourself). EQ is good enough for what I want. Has a couple of features (deep, bright,...) that I don't use, and consider to be fairly useless because they don't seem to have a big influence on the sound (again, might be just my EQ-settings).

Note that it is only rated at about 200w (I got this confirmed via mail from ashdown). Add another cab to get the full 300 (I'm thinking about this).

And the VU meter is just cool :D
  8. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    So is this a better choice than the MAG 210? and for what reasons..
  9. I used an ABM 1x15 Combo for a while and, although I did love it, there was a slight lack in top end definition for my taste. :meh:

For a while now, I have been using a Mag 2x10 Combo in conjunction with a 1x15 Deep Cab to get the full rating out of the amp.

I could not be happier and, so far as value for money is concerned, it is unbeatable IMHO. The Mag range can be bought VERY cheaply in the UK on certain online auction sites. ;)
  10. The 210 version will tend to be somewhat punchier and the 115 version will have a little better throw. I got the 115 version because I prefer 15s and it is lighter. OTOH I am thinking about adding a 210 extension cab when I can find one cheap. If I had bought the 210 version, I would be looking at getting a 115 extension cab. A combination of 115 and 210 cabs typically gives you very nice synergy.
  11. Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Thanks guys, makes sense to think ahead, I think i'll get the 210 and add a 115 cab when my band start getting gigs.
  12. Just think of where the majority of you sound is in the spectrum.

If, like me, you play low and growly and don't want very punchy highs, go for the 115. If you want more highs, go for a couple of 10's. To give you an idea: I didn't like the sound I got when playing californication. On band volume, the speaker could not handle the highs and it sounded unpleasant to me.

And I'd vote against just buying online. You should really go to a store and play them before you buy.

Aaron: the 115 is LIGHTER? As in weight? I'd hate to have to lug the 210 around, because I think the 115 is real heavy. Not that it's an issue, if I get a good sound it can weigh a ton and I'd still buy it:)
  13. According to the Ashdown website the 115 is 30 kg (66 lbs)and the 210 is 34.8 kg (76.6 lbs). The separate head and cabs does have some advantages if you move each item separately, but when it comes to the total weight you are moving, the combos are less.